ModCloth's Reviews > A Collection a Day: 365 Curated Collections

A Collection a Day by Lisa Congdon

Mar 29, 12

Read in February, 2011

Erasers, paperbacks, and patches, oh my! Those are a few of the collections elegantly captured in A Collection a Day, our March Book of the Month. Intrigued? Read on to see how you can win a copy for yourself!

In light of our new collections-themed shopping categories, we thought it was apt to unearth A Collection a Day from our bookstore shelves. Based on San Francisco artist Lisa Congdon’s popular blog of the same name, this book is built around a simple concept — it’s a photographic and illustrated assembly of the artist’s 365 collections. More than that, though, it’s an archive of seemingly mundane objects, an homage to nostalgia, and a celebration of collecting things that you love. It’s inspirational!

One of the first images in the book is of four vintage bingo cards. At some point, maybe your grandma tossed out a pile of those. That’s too bad, because seeing the cards grouped together like that, you really see the character they have individually and as a group. You see the wear and history of each card. To me, the image evokes scenes of church basement games with ladies in sheath dresses, white gloves, and ladylike hats, trays of homemade rugelach, and hot competition with low stakes. What does it make you think of?

We were lucky enough to visit the author in her San Francisco studio, where she graciously showed us her impressive collection and talked a bit about her book. (If you’re a newly minted Lisa fan, be sure to see her new project, 365 Days of Handlettering!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Collection a Day.