Tiny Pants's Reviews > It Had to Be You

It Had to Be You by Cecily von Ziegesar

1381942
Aug 16, 08

bookshelves: borrowed-library, fiction, series, young-adult
Read in January, 2008

This was interesting as it was the first GG book I had read for the first time after seeing the tv show, so I kept seeing and hearing the characters as they are on TV (which obviously does not work well for Rufus or Vanessa, for example, nor really for Jenny). It's quite entertaining, and actually does tie pretty well into the rest of the series -- they make very few mistakes with events, chronology, etc., which is pretty impressive given that the quality of the ghostwriting (or in some cases just with the editing) in that series has not always been especially great.

The one thing that is weird in this book, which is weird in all the Gossip Girl books, is that even though the books take place over the course of a year (and in the case of this one, a year and a half before that year even!), they came out over the course of seven years -- and everything from the clothes to the booze is always current with the year the book came out. Thus in the prequel, the characters have access to more advanced technology than they do a year and a half later in book one! Now, I know I'm a big nerd that I even think about stuff like this, but I do. And since I've always found the constant brands in the books distracting, when they also just seem wrong, they're doubly so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Had to Be You.