Viccy's Reviews > Ashfall

Ashfall by Mike Mullin

Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, young-adults
Read from March 29 to April 06, 2012

It's happened. The supervolcano under Yellowstone National Park erupts, blanketing the world in ashes and nuclear winter. Alex Halperin is alone at his home in Cedar Falls, Iowa. His parents and younger sister have bone to visit his aunt and uncle on their farm near Warren, Il. I have to admit that part of the appeal to me is the location. I know every twist and turn of the road going to Warren and Cedar Falls. My aunt and uncle had a farm near Warren and my cousin and her family lived in Cedar Falls. I recognize the intersections of roads that Alex arrives at. And when Alex and Darla are herded to FEMA Camp Galena, I knew exactly where that is, too; I have many family members who live in Galena. Alex takes his father's skis and sets off the find his family 140 miles away, running into good people and very bad people. He meets a girl, Darla and her mother, on their farm who assist him when he is starving and when Mrs. Edmunds is murdered and Alex has to rescue Darla and himself, he knows he can do anything. Read-alike for The Hunger Games and any other dystopian YA fiction.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashfall.