Annis Marney's Reviews > The Name of the Rose

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

F_50x66
Jul 13, 07

Read in July, 1993

I remember reading tis book like it was yesterday. I had the luxury of lying on a raft in a pool for nearly a week just before I started my second year of teaching high school English and wanted to read something that wasn't for school. Easily one of the best books I've ever read. I tried to read some of Umberto Eco's more literary criticism-oriented stuff (Foucault's Pendulum) in college and almost suffocated. I'm glad I didn't hold it against him and went ahead and picked this up anyway. It's an amazing (and based on history) story of the Spanish Inquisition in a monastery where books are being copied - by hand with gorgeous calligraphy and illuminations, etc. The mystery involves people being killed one at a time over a particular manuscript that the Catholic Church wants to disappear. It all stems from an old argument over whether Jesus had a sense of humor. Remarkable book, very thought provoking. Theres a sort of dark, sketchy movie of this book with Sean Connery and Christian Slater that's a bit old and dated, but not altogether horrible. Doesn't begin to approach how good the book is, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Rose.