Kathy's Reviews > The Shack

The Shack by Wm. Paul Young

Sep 07, 08

Recommended to Kathy by: Judy
Recommended for: youth and adults
Read in August, 2008

The Shack is a fictitious story surrounding the life of Mack (Mackenzie) Philips. Four years before the story begins, Mack's daughter, Missy, was abducted. Though her body was never found, there is evidence in an abandoned shack to prove that she had been brutally murdered. Through the unfolding story, the author covers a wide variety of theological topics, each relevant to suffering and one’s ability or inability to trust in a God who could allow such suffering. I found the writing style forced, especially in the beginning, but as the story took over the book became easier to read. The novel kept me intrigued, both through the story and through the handling of theology.

I enjoyed Young’s creative explanation of biblical truth, and in many cases I was stirred to evaluate his perspective based on my understanding of scripture (at times agreeing with him, and at other times not). Young captures well the character of a loving, forgiving God who dwells within the believer providing the strength, perspective, and power to live a godly life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shack.

Carol Rogers I enjoyed this book as an allegorical tale but put it into a similar category as "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe". It is complete fiction, but the style of the writing and the author's opening and closing chapters, can give the impression that it should be taken literally and I can understand why people may do so.

I would prefer to see more scripture quoted and less assurances that this inexplicably happened.