William Bentrim's Reviews > Karly Sheehan: True Crime Story Behind Karly's Law

Karly Sheehan by Karen Spears Zacharias

Mar 29, 12

Read in March, 2012

I can't rate this book, it is well written but emotionally draining.

April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month. Frankly it is horrific to think we need a month to suggest the obvious, that children are to be cherished and protected. I am reading A Silence of Mockingbirds by Karen Spears Zacharias. It details the abuse and murder of a three year old girl named Karly.

This is not an easy book to read due to the subject matter. My family suggested that I should not read it due to my propensity for emoting. I was a teacher and a guidance counselor and dealt with real life situations that were dismaying but none as horrifying as this true story.

I caution you that to read the book will give you pause and perhaps motivate you to being proactive if you see signs or symptoms of abuse. Keep in mind that abuse may be emotional as well as physical and it is not limited to just children.

This book is an important read, not an easy read, but an important one.

The best seller of my own books is Mommy’s Black Eye, which is a picture book on domestic violence. I am dismayed that is sells so well and hopeful that it may help someone. In this I share the impetus of Ms. Zacharias that we all need to be sensitive to what goes on around us.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Karly Sheehan.