Robert Beveridge's Reviews > Death Ray Butterfly

Death Ray Butterfly by Tom Lichtenberg

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: defenestrated, ebook, owned-and-still-own
Read on February 20, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Tom Lichtenberg, Rays and Nights, vol. 2: Death Ray Butterfly (Lulu, 2010)

I have just done something that, to date, I never have before: I abandoned an ebook before its end.

(Note: I ended up doing it again less than a week after this. But where that book was well over six hundred pages in length, this one is just ninety-four.)

In fact, I had difficulty sticking to the fifty-page rule with this one. I did, because at least one Amazon review says that this book starts out with an annoying style and then gets better. If it does, it waits until well into the second half to do so, because after fifty pages, I was still fighting not to claw my eyes out while attempting to read the narrator's insufferable voice, the worst I've cone across since We Need to Talk About Kevin. However, where Kevin's mom is a whining, self-obsessed shrew who would be better off thrown into a blender (feet first, so we can watch her expression), the narrator here is just a stuffy old bag who can't manage to stay on a single subject for more than three sentences at a time. I'd never have made it fifty pages in person, I would have excused myself to the restroom (and then stayed there cowering until he left) after ten minutes tops. It's just plain unbearable. (zero)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Ray Butterfly.