Shelley Watters's Reviews > Blackwood

Blackwood by Gwenda Bond

Mar 29, 2012

Read in April, 2012

I was privileged to be given the opportunity to read and review BLACKWOOD by Gwenda Bond from Strange Chemistry, the new YA imprint of Angry Robot books. BLACKWOOD is the debut book released by Strange Chemistry, and they are off to an AMAZING start.

To be honest, even before I opened BLACKWOOD, I was intrigued by the premise. It was so fresh, so unique that I HAD to get my hands on this book.

And when I read the first sentence, then first paragraph, I was completely hooked. When I'm hooked, I tend to devour entire books in one sitting. This book was no different. The pace was perfect, keeping me turning the pages, anxious to see what happened next.

The only thing, and it's minor, that jarred me, was the shift between Miranda and Phillips' point of view. I am unsure if it was just because I was reading on my Kindle, which sometimes creates funky formatting, but there didn't seem to be any indication that the point of view was shifting. The shift jarred me the first few times it happened, but then I got used to it and expected it. Like I said, not sure if it was my format and there IS an indication that I wasn't seeing on my Kindle, but just something to think about as you start reading so that you are prepared for the shifting POV's.

With that said, I LOVED the dual point of views. I loved Miranda. Same with Phillips. I don't want to get spoilery, so I am not going to talk about plot, but I loved the characters and I love what Gwenda did with them. The pace was perfect and kept me turning the pages frantically from beginning to end.

Five stars is not enough for this book. I would give it ten if I could. Seriously. It's a brilliant premise, and executed beautifully. (And, I mean, look at that cover, isn't it gorgeous???) When this book comes out in September, if you were intrigued by the book's description, you HAVE to pick it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackwood.