TeenFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

TCL Call#: YA Green J

D - 5 stars

Yes, count them, all five stars. Rare is the occasion I'd rate a book this high, but John Green does it right most of the time, and certainly does it once again here. The first chapter title is "one hundred thirty-six days before." Before what, you ask? Ah, the genius of this novel is that you aren't just driven by the need to know what happens in 136 days, but the characters are incredibly likeable and believable. Miles is the protagonist and our narrator who has a peculiarity for famous people's last words, a quick-wit, and a dark sense of humor. He leaves home to attend a boarding school several states away, where he desires to seek the "Great Perhaps." It is here he meets Alaska, a beautiful and self-destructive girl he quickly falls for. We follow these and a few other characters as the novel continues to count down to an unknown event. This book really has it all: humor, hazing, romance, great characters, and a quick-moving plot. It's a, "just one more chapter" kind of novel that deserves a rare five star rating.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.