William Herschel's Reviews > they say the owl was a baker's daughter: four existential noirs

they say the owl was a baker's daughter by Pablo D'Stair

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: kobo, 2012, own
Read from April 09 to 14, 2012

Four stories, might as well be the same narrator in them all, really, where paranoia or the vaguely incongruent and absurd takes hold and results in a gush of bodily fluids.

The sense of atmosphere is fantastic. My fingers yellowed from nicotine, I was hot with the flu, my throat burned from booze, I shuffled along the streets in foreign clothing and I threw up everywhere. And it's all somehow delightful.

There's quite a sense of being powerless, a victim to a mysterious stranger, authority, or just to life that makes nothing one does matter in the end. The incongruance and absurd sparks more incongruance and absurdity; the unexplained doesn't get explained.

Very entertaining and dark stories. I am very impressed this is available free, and it makes me feel all good about literature on the whole. If this wasn't loved by two of my GR friends, I never would have tried something free, on some misguided delusion that it then must be awful. I hope to buy a copy, anyway, so maybe I haven't shed my delusion entirely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read they say the owl was a baker's daughter.

Quotes William Herschel Liked

“It means I'm glad I killed him, I said, testing it. But this didn't mean anything.

It didn't mean anything, I said, dubious.

But this didn't mean anything, either.”
Pablo D'Stair, they say the owl was a baker's daughter: four existential noirs

“Some other passenger pulled the stop cord. I stood, waiting behind her at the center door, looking up at my smile in the tilt of circular mirror that hung lazy, like it was asleep, half dreaming me.”
Pablo D'Stair, they say the owl was a baker's daughter: four existential noirs

04/11/2012
37.0% "Almost didn't want to move on to the next story; wanted to stay..."
04/13/2012