Audrey's Reviews > The Dust of 100 Dogs

The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King

Jan 24, 10

bookshelves: 2009_publish, young-adult
Read from January 21 to 23, 2010

Emer Morrisey has had a rough life. Cromwell's army destroys her home and family, she is separated from the boy she loves, and has found her way to the godless shores of Tortuga. So when she becomes a fearsome pirate, she knows she is finally getting the life she deserves. However, life isn't so easy. Emer is cursed to live the lives of 100 dogs before she can return as a girl, all while maintaining her memories. Now, she is Saffron Adams, an American girl with the soul of Emer, waiting until she is old enough to reclaim her buried treasure.

I largely enjoyed The Dust of 100 Dogs. Emer's story is compelling, and I like the idea of a powerful female pirate. The story is broken up into both Emer's storyline and Saffron's storyline, slowly using a non-linear approach to revealing the overall plot. Chapters also feature lessons that Emer/Saffron learned about dogs and human nature from her time as canines. While I enjoyed reading the majority of the book, the ending was a bit of a let-down for me. I'm not sure of how it could have ended better, but I felt that it lacked much of the punch that the rest of the story had. Aside from the ending, I did enjoy the story and thought it was well-written and creative.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dust of 100 Dogs.