Grace's Reviews > Saving Francesca

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta

Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: ebook, 2012-all, 2012-new, ya-contemporary, young-adult, library-manhattan
Read from March 30 to 31, 2012

I'm not sure exactly what to say about this... I really liked it, a lot more than I did Jellicoe Road, and I enjoyed Francesca as the main character, but though parts of it were, I'm still not settled on it being a four star read. Until the last of it, I was thinking this might be more 3.5 star than 4, but then I really liked the ending. I will try to sort this out and come back later.

I've decided that for me, this was a 3.5 star book, and even though the very end of it was four stars, I don't think I liked this "enough" to bump it up to four stars. Francesca is a great main character and fairly relatable, and I enjoyed reading about the friendships she developed - particularly with the girls, less so with the boys. I was intrigued by her relationship with Will, but not really into the way it played out at the end. I also definitely appreciated the way her mother's depression was handled, but I was not particularly into the extended family dynamics with the aunts/grandparents. At times, this felt quiet and very busy all at once. Which I guess can be fairly true to life.

I did like this, but the more I hear other people talking about it, the more I feel like I didn't like this the way everyone else did. I'm still waiting for one of Marchetta's books to reach me the way they reach everyone else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Francesca.

03/30/2012
16.0% "My very first library book checked out on my Kindle! This is ~exciting." 6 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carrie This was one of my very favorite books last year. I hope you like it!

Beth Yup, I demand more thoughts :D