Julia's Reviews > I am Forbidden

I am Forbidden by Anouk Markovits

Apr 05, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-new-to-me-author-a-z-challenge, contemporary-fiction, historical-fiction, holocaust, literary-ficton
Read from March 29 to 31, 2012

Four generations of a Satmar Hasidic family from 1939 in Transylvania to 2012 in Williamsburg, NY in each and in some there are multiple members who believe themselves to be “forbidden.” One young man has nocturnal emissions. One young woman is intellectually curious. She knows that she will have to leave her community to continue learning, and never see her parents again. Her adopted sister, from a family that was murdered by the Nazis goes to great extremes -- to conceive.

And the biggest secret of them all, is one that many in the greater world knows, but the Satmar Hasidim do not, according to this book. The Satmar Rebbe Joel Tietlebaum, who refused Israel and Zionism all his life, was secreted out of Bergen Belsen with his family and some allies by a Zionist to Switzerland. Then he allowed the Zionist to be executed as a Nazi sympathizer. I quite enjoyed this novel and its characters. While I haven’t recently read Chaim Potok, comparisons to his novels are apt.

I received this from the publisher through Read it Forward on 3/27/12.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am Forbidden.