Donna's Reviews > The Scourge of Muirwood

The Scourge of Muirwood by Jeff Wheeler

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: young-adult-childrens, read-in-2012, fantasy
Read from March 29 to 31, 2012

I was a bit disappointed in the final book in this trilogy after liking the first two so much. The Christian allegory became very heavy-handed as Lia realizes her true identity and purpose. While the author has a female savior, the fact that it turns out all the evil in the world is caused by women and the Blight that wipes out the entire population except for the chosen few is carried by women and transmitted by a kiss as they ensnare the men with their evil seductive ways didn't sit very well with me.

However, putting that aside, the story wrapped up nicely, and the relationship between Lia and Colvin was never easy, which I appreciated. I did enjoy this trilogy overall and would recommend it for those who enjoy Fantasy. It's interesting to me that the first book felt like a YA novel but by the end, the themes are much more adult and I now question my putting this on the YA shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scourge of Muirwood.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by June8342 (new)

June8342 I'm glad someone else read my same concerns. True - This was a well-told story beginning to end. I enjoyed reading it. Yet ... It does not sit well with me that women become the carriers of death. That's just a mite too close to the patriarchal allegory affirming women as the source of sin/death. (At least apple eating gets redeemed)