Betsy's Reviews > James and the Giant Peach

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

Mar 29, 12

Recommended for: kids, parents
Read in March, 2012, read count: 1

Certain beats "Captain Underpants"! I just finished reading "James" to a third-grader named Sterling who I read with on Wednesdays at a downtown Des Moines school as part of the program "Everybody Wins." Convincing Sterling to break away from the dumb yuks of "The Captain Underpants" series hasn't been easy but with "James," I used my liveliest reading voice, with frequent asides to ask him questions (in order to keep him awake), to keep Sterling engaged - and it largely worked. Roald Dahl has a misogynistic streak - his description of James' aunts is horrid in the extreme, albeit very funny - but he has such a fantastic imagination and, yes, a way with words that he easily kept both Sterling and I entertained. One interesting note: the book may get a little too real for post-9/11 parents living in NYC or beyond towards the end when the Giant Peach is looming over the Empire State Building, terrifying people below who fear a massive attack is about to occur. This kids book, written in 1961 I believe, suddenly felt a little too real for awhile there. On to "Harry Potter"!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read James and the Giant Peach.

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike if you haven't read it, his book Going Solo is really good. mostly about his crazy war experiences, if I remember

Betsy thanks for suggestion. I could use another good book (for me to read to myself, not to a third grader.)