Jennifer Stevenson's Reviews > Plot it Yourself

Plot it Yourself by Rex Stout

Mar 29, 2012

This is one of my favorite Nero Wolfe books. The food in it is only so-so, but the story, where (SPOILER ALERT) an author is the villain, and everyone in it is an author or a publisher, and all the clues are literary, is irresistible to me. Wolfe pulls a mutiny early on, then he gets over it. The killer keeps staying ahead of him to the point where he's roaring.

I always say a good series is not about whodunit but about the relationships of the main continuing characters. The question in these books is, What is Wolfe eating? How is he getting on Archie's last nerve? How is Archie going to get him back, and who will have the last word? The relationships between these two and Fritz the cook and Theodore the orchid guy stir the pot. I don't think you can call the Wolfe/Goodwin duo "slash" but (ew, I just had a visual on that, need mental floss stat!) BUT their "marriage" is pretty wonderful. If I look at them as a loose, asexual menage of four rigidly homosocial men--meaning not gay at all, but preferring the company of other men--it works, and I can overlook Archie's exuberant male chauvinism.

I definitely give it a five.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plot it Yourself.