Mary Ronan Drew's Reviews > When I Was a Child I Read Books

When I Was a Child I Read Books by Marilynne Robinson

Mar 29, 12

Read from March 24 to 26, 2012

Read my review at my blog:

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When I Was a Child I Read Books.

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Mary are you facebooked with Paul Harding? He and Marilynne are set to tour together in the next few months....most likely only in the east though :(.

In other news Toni Morrison, Richard Ford and Hillary Mantel (sequel to Wolf Hall) are publishing in May!!!!!!

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Have you read "Absence of Mind: The Dispelling of Inwardness from the Modern Myth of the Self (The Terry Lectures Series)". I tried to read it and could make no sense of it. I suppose I'm not skilled enough to read her level of academic writing.

Mary Ronan Drew Like you, Cynthia, I have trouble with Robinson's nonfiction. She is writing, I think, more for her academic cronies than for us, the public (who buy her books.) Her Gilead and Home are unbeatable, however.

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia I haven't read Home yet though I have it. You've read 'housekeeping' assume? I like that even better than Gilead which was a little to hard hitting on religion for me.

I wish the sun would come out here :(. I know I shouldn't be saying that to you though. Did all your snow melt or just some of it?

Mary Ronan Drew I have read Housekeeping three times, including once in an audio version. I sat in the lakefront park in Sandpoint looking at the famous railroad bridge one day and re-read the train wreck section and the part where the sisters walk across. Very rewarding.

All of our snow melted. It's overcast (rain today, rain tonight, rain tomorrow) and we have had the wettest March on record. Sun? I remember sun. (I think.)

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia I love the whole railroad motif. There's something magical about trains. I live about a mile from local tracks and late at night I can hear the whistle. Love that sound. Does Bill read fictin too?

I'm sure ready for some sun.

Do you watch TCM? I love old movies but the old trailers and shorts that they show between movies are almost better than the movies. They showed the original trailer for 'a touch of mink' today.

Mary Ronan Drew I live about a mile from a rail line, too, and in the summer when the window are open at night the sound of the lonesome whistle is evocative.

I don't watch much TV but I did watch TCM the night the station debuted with Gone With the Wind.

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Mary Ronan wrote: "I live about a mile from a rail line, too, and in the summer when the window are open at night the sound of the lonesome whistle is evocative.

I don't watch much TV but I did watch TCM the night..."

You crazy kids.....