Erin's Reviews > This Burns My Heart

This Burns My Heart by Samuel Park

Apr 19, 12

Read from April 16 to 19, 2012

I am really sad this book is over - I couldn't wait to get back to it every day! The story is set in 1960's Korea, but it really is a universal and timeless story. This could have been a plot out of Jane Austen novel or it could very well have happened to me when I was younger: Bad boy courts innocent girl, girl accepts proposal, girl meets good boy, good boy proposes, girl is torn… I won’t ruin it for you by telling you what happens next, but you see where this is going.

The main character, Soo-ja, is a beautiful, strong-willed young woman, desperate to break into the world and experience life outside of the comfort of her family home. She makes an impetuous choice to get engaged, seeing it as her window of opportunity – but like most teenagers (a bit wild, a bit selfish) doesn’t realize the weight of her decisions and the profound implication that this one might have on her future happiness.

This book was appealing to me on so many levels. Besides the story of unrequited love, which was intense and credible (how did a man write this??), I found the details about Korean life absolutely fascinating. Unexpectedly, I also gained a deeper understanding of parental love and how strong the bonds are between parent and child. Despite the difference in culture and time, Soo-ja’s father reminded me of my own – and Soo-ja’s issues with her daughter gave me a new respect for what my mother must have gone through with me... This book makes me want to hug them and say thank you.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Burns My Heart.

04/16/2012 page 45
04/17/2012 page 156
46.0% "I'm really enjoying this book so far!!"
show 2 hidden updates…