Lindsey Jane's Reviews > Simple Secrets to a Happy Life

Simple Secrets to a Happy Life by Luci Swindoll

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: booksneeze-books
Read in March, 2012

Luci Swindoll gives you motherly advice on how to have a happy life. In 50 short chapters, Swindoll passes on life's secrets to you.

Only, Luci Swindoll isn't a mother. And Luci Swindoll is telling you all the things a mother tells her children. None of this is revolutionary. Some of it is even counter productive. I'm not sure Miss Swindoll has much grounds to give anyone life advice. It seems her only qualification is that she has lived. I know this sounds harsh, and it is nothing agianst Miss Swindoll, I'm sure she's a swell woman. I'm just not sure what publisher thought this book was a good idea to publish.

Honestly, Luci lost me at number one. It was just bad advice, honestly. Chapter one was "honor your father and mother". The advice given might have been great for those that have relatively normal parents and normal circumstances. But it is downright terrible advice for those of you who have abusive, narcissistic, or sociopathic parents. Of course, Miss Swindoll cannot possible know all of our circumstances, but she comes at it from the angle of "knowing" someone with a difficult relationship with her horrible mother and he still honored her and she took the verbal abuse to take care of her. I think Miss Swindoll is downright wrong on this one. She claims you don't have to like them, but you should continue to honor and respect them. She doesn't mention abusive, manipulative, controlling parents who make your life miserable. (If you are dealing with parents of this type, try "Boundaries" by Cloud and Townsend and ignore Miss Swindoll's advice.

Luci goes one to talk about being on time, taking Jesus everywhere, keeping your work, reading your Bible everyday, value what you have, allow yourself to be sad, writing down important things, establishing integrity in your life, thinking before you speak, and so on. None of this is new. None of this is more than any of us have been told all our lives. Honestly, it seems like this book is Luci's baby. She's telling all the motherly advice in book form that she never got to personally share as a mother. I just can't see how this is helpful.

I really didn't like this book. This feel good, superficial, common-sense reading just isn't for me. Maybe there is an audience for this somewhere, it just isn't found in me.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simple Secrets to a Happy Life.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aisha Oaktree Funny those were my same thoughts on that chapter, I couldn't help but think, "what if your parents weren't worth the air they breathe?? yeah no" Great pointers in your review!!