Inge's Reviews > The Magicians' Guild

The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan

Sep 19, 12

bookshelves: friendship-never-eeeends, magic, main-character-is-cool, villain-rocks-my-socks, young-adult, fantasy
Read from September 12 to 16, 2012

This book was divided into two parts and felt like two different stories to me. Part one would be 'The chase' and part two would be 'The actual story'. Thus I will review both parts seperately.

Part One: 2 stars

Sonea lives in the slums. She and her family have been put out of their homes by the magicians, and now they're back on the streets. This 'event' happens every year and is called the Purge. An angry mob gathers around the magicians, who are protected by a magical shield. No matter how many stones the dwellers throw, the magicians won't feel a thing. Enter Sonea. She is really angry and throws a stone with all her might. It goes through the protective shield and hits a magician right in the temple. That is the end of Sonea's life as she knows it, for she just discovered she has magical powers. And the magicians noticed it too. Thus begins the chase.

While the magicians look for the slum girl to convince her to join the Magicians' Guild, Sonea is convinced that they want to kill her for attacking a magician. With a little help from her best friend Cery and his Thief associates, she manages to avoid the magicians for a long time. But now that her magical powers have been activated, it is hard to keep them under control - they could end up killing her.

This could have easily been written into 50 pages instead of 250. The back story is absolutely necessary to get a picture of what the world is like, in the slums as well as in the Magicians' Guild, but it carried on for too long. A story has to progress. But all is forgiven when the second part begins.

Part Two: 4 stars

Sonea has been captured and is living in the Magicians' Guild. Lord Rothen, the magician who noticed Sonea's magical abilities first, tries to earn her trust and eventually teaches her how to control her powers. It's obvious that Lord Rothen will be Sonea's guardian once she starts attending classes in the Guild. But Lord Fergun, the magician Sonea hit with the stone, wants to claim guardianship as well - for a whole different reason. Lord Fergun will go very far to get what he wants. And it turns out that Akkarin, the High Lord (basically he's the übermagician) has a secret agenda as well.

This is definitely the more interesting part of the book. Here we get to know more about magic itself and how it works. Sonea gradually adapts to living in the Guild and becomes quite fond of Lord Rothen. We also learn more about Lord Rothen's former novice and good friend, Lord Dannyl. Surrounded by a whole Guild of old, serious magicians, Lord Dannyl stands out with his curiosity for gossip and gay rumours.

An exciting tale filled with magic and mystery, and definitely worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians' Guild.

09/12/2012 page 71
14.0% ""Agh." Dannyl grimaced. "Not another early morning."

I hear ya, buddy."
09/14/2012 page 114
23.0% "114 pages in and they're still looking for the girl. Very slow start."
09/15/2012 page 239
49.0% "If it wasn't for one of my best friends wanting me to read these, I would've abandoned this a long time ago."
09/15/2012 page 266
55.0% "Yes, finally part two - the capture!"
09/16/2012 page 362
75.0% "This is finally getting good. About time too!"
09/16/2012 page 365
76.0% ""Villains were supposed to reveal their plans, either by mistake or during a bout of gloating.""

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Livvy (new) - added it

Livvy Shame the whole book wasn't like the second half. I keep finding that more and more books are having really great second halves these days and the first halves are really dreary and slow or no plot seems apparent.

Inge Olivia *^*A Nerdy Girl*^* wrote: "Shame the whole book wasn't like the second half. I keep finding that more and more books are having really great second halves these days and the first halves are really dreary and slow or no plot..."

I feel like they could've written the first part into 50 pages or so, as background information about everything is needed, but 250 pages to get into the book was just too much.

message 3: by Livvy (new) - added it

Livvy I can totally agree with you there. I wouldn't like that! Some books just over-do things!

Inge Olivia *^*A Nerdy Girl*^* wrote: "I can totally agree with you there. I wouldn't like that! Some books just over-do things!"

Yes! Basically, it's about a girl who discovers the has magic when she throws a stone at a magician (there was a magic wall to protect the magicians and she got through it). She's convinced that they want to kill her so she runs away from them, and they look for her for 250 pages or so. The second part is when she's captured and a magician starts earning her trust and teaching her things. It's way more interesting :)

message 5: by Livvy (new) - added it

Livvy It sounds more interesting from your description alone. I keep seeing the second book to this around, so maybe I'll just give it a try (at some point in the long distance future) and fall asleep during the first 250 pages, haha! :P

message 6: by Inge (last edited Sep 16, 2012 10:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Inge Olivia *^*A Nerdy Girl*^* wrote: "It sounds more interesting from your description alone. I keep seeing the second book to this around, so maybe I'll just give it a try (at some point in the long distance future) and fall asleep du..."

I'll let you know if it's worth it! One of my best friends has been pestering me to read this for years, so if she says it's good, it must be!

message 7: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam ^that would be me. xD

message 8: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Olivia *^*A Nerdy Girl*^* wrote: "Shame the whole book wasn't like the second half. I keep finding that more and more books are having really great second halves these days and the first halves are really dreary and slow or no plot..."

That's what the second book will be about! C:

Love your review inge, so glad you like the book! <3

Inge Sam wrote: "That's what the second book will be about! C:

Love your review inge, so glad you like the book! <3 "

Thank you Sam! Thanks for recommending them to me.. like three years ago :D <3

message 10: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John Craft You are spot on with both reviews.

Juhina I'm reading it now and I'm in the first part.. I'm 100 pages in and I'm wondering why it is dragging on so much and when will we get to the meat of the story.. I dislike books written this way. Still, I'm excited for the second part

Eliot This is exactly what I thought when reading this book. I have no idea how I got through the first part but then it did get pretty interesting.