Pandora 's Reviews > Bigger than a Bread Box

Mar 29, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: children-s
Read in March, 2012

For me I found the book to be a curious read. I kept having the feeling that the story really wanted to be a realistic story about divorice. Unfortunantely there was the magical element of the bread box that jammed itself into the story. The divorice and the magical bread box seemed to be at odds with each other and caused the story to fall flat. It was okey story and there was nothing objectable to it. It just didn't have any sparkle for me. A younger more forgiving reader might find more in the story then I did. For me I would have preferred the story to either have been a magical fantasy journey or a realistic divorice drama. I would in end say it is more of a 2 1/2 star book.

PS What brought the book down for me was the ending. I was expecting - hoping for a fantasy snap ending. An ending such as The Wish Stealers, Dussie, Falling, Ingo in which it is clear why the magic happened and the story is truly closed. Instead the book ended with a realistic ending such as Firegirl, The Evoultion of Calpurnia Tate, and Bystander (which did work for me,). These have loosely endings where the incident is wrapped up but, story is still open because the hero/heroine is still on a journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bigger than a Bread Box.

05/18/2016 marked as: read