fleegan's Reviews > If You Like Metallica...: Here Are Over 200 Bands, CDs, Movies, and Other Oddities That You Will Love

If You Like Metallica... by Mike McPadden

Mar 29, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from March 29 to May 13, 2012

If You Like Metallica… was such a fun read.

I am a casual Metallica fan. What I mean by that is I own several of their albums (4) and I’ve never been to one of their concerts. So a real metalhead would probably think I’m not a fan at all, but I think I’m a fan because:

A. Metallica rocks; I know this.

B. The first guitar bit I ever learned to play was the damn intro to Unforgiven, so all you metalhead snobs just need to back off, okay? And don’t you, “But The Black Album doesn’t count” me. I will fight you on this.

If you are a super fan or just a casual fan, like me, I think you’ll enjoy this book, especially the first part where the author writes about heavy metal history and the bands that came before Metallica and the bands that came after. Each band gets a couple of paragraphs so the author covers a lot of ground but the writing isn’t bloated with too much information. He gives you just enough info so you can go dig deeper on the bands that you are interested in and not be bogged down with a bunch of tedious whatnot about bands you don’t care anything about. Also, Mr. McPadden was able to come up with 6,000 different adjectives, metaphors, and similes for the same thing: rocking out. Every time I read a new description I marveled at how he was constantly saying the same thing but in a different way.

So the historical parts I really liked. The films and books section I thought were kind of weak. I think at least 90% of the films were picked because there was a Metallica song on the soundtrack. I’m assuming that if you like Metallica you probably know what albums are out there and probably which soundtracks they’re on? The book section had the same kind of problem, 90% of the books were books about Metallica. I would assume that Metallica fans can work their way through a book search for Metallica on Amazon.com. I did like the chapter title Read the Lightning though, that made me smile.

The first seven chapters were really great. The last three didn’t seem to have as much thought put in them. Overall, I really had fun reading this book. If you like metal, or have a metal fan in your life I’d recommend this book. It would be a pretty cool gift.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Like Metallica....