Cheryl's Reviews > Amplified

Amplified by Tara Kelly

Apr 01, 12

Read from March 28 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy

3½ stars - At the beginning of Amplified Jasmine Kiss (yes, it’s her real name, it’s Hungarian) just got kicked out of her house by her dad because she told him she wanted to defer entrance to Stanford for a year. Her car breaks down and she’s lucky enough to have broken down in front of a garage, unlucky enough to get “helped” by a snarky employee with an attitude. After finding out that Craigslist room-to-let ads are indeed as creepy and bad as you would think, she ends up at place with a room to let by three guys who also happen to be looking for a guitar player, which Jasmine is.

Of course, problems getting a job, dealing with her dad, living with three guys, one of whom she starts to like and practicing for playing for her first live show occur. On top of that, she lied to her bandmates and told them she’d played in front of an audience before and is terrified she'll mess up.

I liked Amplified more than I thought I would. Despite doing some stupid things (but who hasn’t, especially at 17), Jasmine is a really likeable character as were some of the secondary characters like the band’s lead singer, Veta. Some of them behaved like idiots at times, like Veta’s brother, Sean and the drummer, Bryn (though they could also be really sweet), but I thought the characters were all pretty realistic; not everything always ends up rosy in real life and I thought some of the things that happened in this book, the ending included (which I don’t mean to imply was bad!), may not have been unicorns and rainbows, but it was definitely more realistic. The parts I liked least about this book were when Jasmine had a mental dialogue about music and some of the more technical aspects of playing. Having said that, it’s a book about a band, so it’s to be expected, and if you play guitar or are in a band, you’ll probably love it; it just wasn’t my thing. I was in the mood for something different (I usually read paranormal and mystery/suspense books) and this totally fit the bill. If you’re in the mood for a fast read about a girl learning to be on her own first time and her ups and downs, and especially if you're into music, I’d recommend picking up Amplified.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amplified.

03/29/2012 page 228