AH's Reviews > Lover Reborn

Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: alpha-males, paranormal, vampires, zzread-apr-2012, babr-reviews, angels
Read from March 31 to April 04, 2012

Oh, the angst! Oh, the sex! Angst and sex…repeat. (Not that there is anything wrong with that).

I’ve enjoyed the Black Dagger Brotherhood books. While I am not a “rabid” fan, I’ve usually found this series to be a nice diversion from real life. The earlier books were addictive for me and I just couldn’t get enough. I mean, think about it, this is a series where the males are huge, muscled, and well-endowed. They take care of their women. It’s a no-brainer.

Lover Reborn was an OK read for me. It had its enjoyable moments but too often those moments were offset with angst. I understand that this book needed to be emotional and I’m OK with that but it was just a little too much for me.

Several things stood out for me while reading this book: First and foremost, Ms. Ward is very skilled at writing steamy love scenes. *fans self* They were very well done.
I fell in love with Lassiter in this book. Lassiter amused me and his role reminded me of those little cartoon angels on people’s shoulders. Lassiter was an angel with attitude and I loved how he helped Tohr.

The Band of Bastards made a nice addition to the cast of characters. Finally, the Black Dagger Brotherhood had a formidable opponent for the Brothers to battle. Not your sissy-baby-powder-scented-keystone-cop-zombie enemy; these guys were hard core. Can’t wait to see what the Band of Bastards will do in future books.

I was intrigued by Assail and I am curious to see what his story is and how he will fit into later books.

There were things about Lover Reborn that drove me crazy. There were too many characters, points of view, and story lines to keep track of. Some of the transitions were a little choppy, too. Some of the language and Wardisms were difficult to understand. I found myself rereading several passages. I also did not understand why a newly mated couple could have so many marital problems so early into their mating. John and Xhex suffered from too much angst that could have been easily rectified by a little communication.

Will I read the next book? Most probably, though not right away….

Review posted on Badass Book Reviews. See what Michelle and I thought about the book.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Reborn.

03/31/2012 page 1
0.0% "Bookshelf Bingo- Personal Shelf"
04/02/2012 page 180
31.0% "So many story lines. So many points of view." 7 comments
04/02/2012 page 272
48.0% "Read on, or watch GoT? I'm really liking Tohr and No'One (hate her name, though)." 4 comments

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I've got a few friends reading this one. I stopped before finishing book 6...but loved the prior books!

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I don't usually read these when they come out. This one was OK. Long. A lot of story lines and points of view to keep track of.

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Sounds like a lot of work...but did you like it??

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH OK, about a 3-3.5 star book for me.