Rob's Reviews > Interior Desecrations: Hideous Homes from the Horrible '70s

Aug 15, 08

bookshelves: 2008, humor
Recommended for: Fans of A Gallery of Regrettable Food
Read in August, 2008

Personally, I feel nostalgic about the 70s, and I think that James Lileks harshes on that decade a little too much, both here and in his other works.* I'll concede the point, however: the examples of interior design in this book are mind-numbingly atrocious, and Lileks's commentary is, as usual, as hilarious as it is incisive. If you enjoyed Lileks's masterwork, A Gallery of Regrettable Food, you'll find this a worthy successor. Gaze upon color schemes that even a blind man could not contemplate and stay sane. See furniture guaranteed to provide you with a crippling backache within ten minutes of use or double your money back. And puzzle over bizzare abstract artwork that will make you long for good old representational art—like Picasso.

*Perhaps I'd feel differently if I were ten years older. After all, I spent most of my young adulthood in the 80s, though for me, popular culture didn't really go to pot until the advent of grunge and the "X-TREME!!!!!!" fad of the 90s.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interior Desecrations.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenton (new) - added it

Kenton Schassberger There were nice homes and rooms but they were also so bland you could sleep in them. The rooms shown are the extremes of the 70s, not a norm. What was most fun were hot tub parties, and naked pool parties and very cheap drugs