Among The Muses's Reviews > A Week to Be Wicked

A Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare

I enjoyed book one, but I have to say that I loved book two! Tessa Dare ups the bar in this second installment with her characters, adventure, and delicious smexiness that is sure to capture the heart of all historical romance fans who want to laugh, cry, fall in love – simply feel – and be left a little breathless with each new chapter.

For readers unfamiliar with this series, it’s a series about a little place off-the-beaten-trail along the coast of southern England in the late eighteenth century: Spindle Cove. A place where woman can be who they are, or find their reprieve, from the prying and gossiping eyes of society. Heroine Minerva Highwood is just one of the ladies who finds herself in Spindle Cove (albeit, still under the thumb of her dictative and degrading mother) to accept her inevitable destiny to remain a spinster. You see, Minerva is a geek to the core. She reads her scientific papers through the perch of her spectacles, and doesn’t mind getting her plain and dull attire – and self – a little dirty in her scientific investigations.

Hero, Colin Sandhurst, Lord Payne, feels stifled in Spindle Cove. All he has to do is make it a couple of more months until his birthday, free of trouble that is, to finally receive his inheritance and get away from the God forsaken place that is running out of woman for him to tumble with. Did I mention he has to stay out of trouble though?

However, trouble is what both Minerva and Colin find themselves in.

The fast paced adventure that takes place in this book truly drives the bringing together of these two highly unlikely characters: A plain-Jane geek and a devilishly handsome, rake.

One of the aspects I *love* about Tessa Dare’s Spindle Cove series is her writing style. She has an uncanny ability to merge laugh-out-loud moments and some of the most seductive passages, all while keeping it utterly believable coming from the personalities of the characters.

But it’s not jut about seduction between these characters. They find an unwavering respect in, and longing to be near and protect each other as the story progresses. What starts off as a selfish quest for each of the characters, turns into a venture that by the ending of the book each are ready to toss aside their original goals and desires just to save – and have – one another.

I’m not going to lie, when I was first introduced to Colin and Minerva in book one, I honestly wasn’t too sure I would like them, let alone how they could ever “fit” together as a couple. But, I definitely have a different opinion of them now! In fact, these are officially two of my favorite characters and book couples!! They did fit together, and they do have fabulous personalities that grow with them over the course of the story. In my opinion, it simply made the HEA that much better!!

I know it’s just the second book of the series, but it was by far the best! In fact, I can’t help but wonder how Dare will top this one!

Historical romance fans hike up your skirts because you have A Week to Be Wicked! You’re going on an adventure that will take you from cove caves to coach rides with a footprint (you’ll see), having your plans thwarted by a group of bandits only to end up at a carnival. Shot at, luggage stolen, dress ripped, giggle at some of the most outrageous lines that come from a geeky little heroine and a rake hero, and, of course, swoon over heated seduction that ends in fairytale love. *sighs*
Enjoy!!

At the end of this book, you will also get a sneak peak into the next installment, A Lady By Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3). Coming September 2012 by Avon Books.

Spindle Cove Series:

A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)
A Week to be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3): Coming 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Week to Be Wicked.