Nadia Scrieva's Reviews > The Pillars of Creation

The Pillars of Creation by Terry Goodkind

Mar 29, 2012

liked it

I dug up an old review I wrote on Amazon for this in 2004, when I was 16 and had just finished reading it:

This book... had a very evil feel to it. The characters weren't as well-defined as in the other books, or perhaps just not as appealing. I thought Jennsen was quite determined to be stupid throughout her journeys, but her character was saved in the end. The scene with Oba and the Mord-sith is not one easily forgettable, it's enjoyable in the most sadistic of ways. You definitely could not read this book and get everything out of it if you hadn't read a few of the others preceeding it, so you had a feel of what was going on with the Order and Richard. I did find myself greedily awaiting appearances from Richard and Kahlan, because those two characters are the kind one can read about forever and identify with... Jennsen, I wanted to hurt; although that does say something about how brought alive the characters were. Still, definitely an evil feel to it. I love the terms "hole in the world" and "pillars of creation", such chilling thoughts. The kind that remind you of something, far off and long ago that you just can't place but it made you scared perhaps without cause. This is a book that will make you think and wonder and probably leave you more confused than you were at the beginning, and wanting to write a review about just how much you disliked it. The fact is, you will probably dislike it as you're reading it, and want to put it down but you will not be able to. You'll read it through till the end and then perhaps think it a waste of time, and you should have stopped reading when you felt like it... but of course you couldn't. This is a page-turner if I ever heard of one. Maybe you're better off not wasting hours on it but I still recommend it.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pillars of Creation.