Martin Willoughby's Reviews > Confessions of an Average Half-Vampire

Confessions of an Average Half-Vampire by Lisa  Shafer

8462078
Aug 02, 12

Read in November, 2011

This is a novel aimed at the young adult market, but shouldn't be disregarded by adults. Why? It's good fun.

Eric is a half-vampire. His mum's normal, his dad's a vampire who skipped off when he'd impregnated Eric's mother. Since then, they've had to move several times after he'd bitten various kids and spends part of his life every week taking a syringe to sheep and cows to get some blood.

Being a half-vampire means he has 'gifts', such as being able to calm people and animals by talking in a calm voice, sending them to sleep occasionally, and telekinesis. The last of them comes a great surprise to him. He has a wheelchair-bound friend called Joseph and has the hots for a girl called Kacey. Well not quite the hots, but they do get on well.

Yes, it's full of teen-angst and drama (it's aimed at them remember), such as how do you kiss a girl without sucking her blood at the same time (something he manages) and 'am I gay'. What lifts this out of the ordinary is Eric's attitude. Think Harry Dresden as a youngster, lose the bad language and the killing and you're there.

Eric's mum travels a lot for her job and leaves him alone for several days at a time, but as he's a half-vampire, sensible and strong for his age she doesn't worry too much. One trip, she takes him to Edinburgh where he meets his dad...and wishes he hadn't. His dad turns out to be a drug-addict and the blood Eric sucks leaves him feeling sick for a day or two. On the plus side, he gets to meet another vampire, that his mum fancies, and some acolytes who are happy to let him drink some of their blood.

When he returns home, all hell breaks loose: well alright, I've exaggerated a little, but he does end up in a serious fight with someone who's trying to kill him.

The one thing that kept me reading this book was Eric. He doesn't need much blood, nor does any vampire for that matter, and he explains his need to be indoors as a case of Porphyria. Garlic? Loves it. Crosses? Only when playing football, not that he does play football, but...well you get the idea. In short he's a normal kid that most adults and children would recognise.

I enjoyed the book and found it an entertaining read. For the young reader that it's aimed at, it would make a good Christmas present. Why? One, it's about vampires, two it's available as a digital download from Amazon, three they won't need a Kindle to read it as the Kindle software is available for PC, Mac, iPhone and others for free on Amazon, four it's only 86p.

I'll leave the final few words to my 11 year old son.

"Dad, can you keep reading that to me. It's so funny."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of an Average Half-Vampire.