Sarah's Reviews > Shaman, Healer, Heretic

Shaman, Healer, Heretic by M. Terry Green

Mar 29, 2012

bookshelves: r2r-complete, read-2012
Read from April 30 to May 02, 2012

(I was given this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
Olivia Lawson (Livvy) is a techno-shamen. (Not heard of one of these before? Neither had I!) This involves the use of a special pair of goggles, which allow her to access a place that she refers to as the multiverse. Once in the multiverse she searches for whomever she has been paid to search for, and brings them back – these people are generally patients who are in a coma, or have something psychologically wrong with them.

Business hasn’t been good for Livvy, and she’s living in a cheap apartment, and surviving mainly on pancakes and syrup. Things start to get strange though when an ancient spirit being called a Kachina starts turning up in Livvy’s apartment and trying to communicate with her, and several trips to the middleworld (the place where she enters the multiverse) find the place surprisingly quiet and void of life.

Those aren’t the only strange occurrences though, as reports on the news begin to broadcast footage of other shamen spontaneously combusting, and a trip to the Netherworld reveals a giant ancient god (Tiamat) with the head and wings of an eagle, and the body of a lion, who seems to want to kill her.

Now Livvy thinks she’s found the solution. She thinks that if she can find a way to connect two pairs of goggles together, so that two shamen can go together into the netherworld, they might stand a chance against Tiamat. Unfortunately though, shamen aren’t supposed to even talk to each other as the public feel that they will work together against them, and so finding someone willing to work with her is going to be no small task on its own.

I enjoyed this book. Livvy is a really likeable character, and she always strives to help people, even when it seems that everybody is against her. She doesn’t give in to bullying, and doesn’t let their acts of prejudice against her get her down.

Although I didn’t know much about shamen before reading this book, this wasn’t a problem, and Livvy’s job was actually quite simple – she gets a call, she does the job, she gets paid. It actually reminded me a bit of Laurell K Hamilton’s Anita Blake Vampire Hunter (the earlier novels, before the multiple ‘love’ scenes.) In essence Livvy is a healer – she just does it in a different way to medical staff, which doesn’t please them and gets her extra grief.

The storyline in this book was interesting, and at times I really just couldn’t put it down. There were also several twists at the end that I really didn’t see coming.
Overall, a new and interesting idea, with a well-thought out plot.
7.5 out of 10.
(Book length: 3990 Kindle Locations)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shaman, Healer, Heretic.