Valeria Andrea's Reviews > Clockwork Princess

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Sep 28, 13

bookshelves: youngadult, english, favorites, kick-ass-reviews
Read from March 19 to 25, 2013

Spoilers? Maybe.
Well, obviously, as the fair cold hearted lady that I am, last night I threw a fit whenever I finished the book. Not in the bad way, is just... the ends were oh-damn-so-great.
All of them, in SO many ways.
*sigh*
Yep, endS, but hold on right there, I shall go back to the endS of the book later.

I didn't want to start the book.
No joke, I didn't.
But at the same time, I was desperate to go all the way to the end & see what the hell with Mortmain's devilic automatons, Tessa's origin & all the other shit load of theories I had to prove right. The thing is, I just knew at least one little tear this book would squeeze out of my mechanic heart.
I was so sure, as Tessa says,
I think Cassandra Clare wrote that line in purpose.
Anyway, differently from the characters in TMI, I came to care for the characters in TID way more than one sane person should.

Starting with Tessa.
The situation of her existence, how she was created (by Mortmain!) & her powers are enough for me to care, if at least in a detective like way. But, then again, I have always liked her.
I liked her at the beginning, I loved her determination when she burned her hand at the end of Clockwork Prince (my favorite scene of all 3 books), I was enduring with her all along this last book.
&, please, is not just about her thorn heart between Will or Jem, or the (apparently but not quite) pointless suffering & drama.
I like her for what she is, regardless her decision & her motives about the boy (boys?) she loved. (Of course I will parrot about it later, okay?)
I like her & care for her.
"Well[...], you can be assured that no one will be coming to rescue you now."
You are to be the ruin of the Nephilim.
"Then I will have to rescue myself."
Ah? Tell me if THAT isn't a strong character!
I will miss Tessa. I'd like to see her in action present-day, though that would also be... heart breaking, you know. Other people I love so much wouldn't be there.

Like Charlotte!
Okay, I like Tessa lots, but as I've said before, Charlotte would be my roll model if I ever grew up. Period.
She alone could lead ALL Shadowhunters!
*Hugs Charlotte one LAST time*
Okay, my eternal admiration for Charlotte brings down my point about how much I cared about the characters in TID.
She is a supportive character, & I was looking forward to see what was going on through her eyes.

The focus on TMI (1-3 at least) are Clary & Jace, so the wide spectrum in TID is great, specially with the likable characters.
I didn't expect to like Gabriel at all!
*gasp*
Anyway.
I had expected Cecily's appearance to be a bit more... plot-worthy. Since she & her parents knew Mortmain, I though that perhaps she would be at the Institute by his hand, even if indirectly. But no.
She was there because of her brother, she wanted to bring him back home, though the shot fired exactly in the opposite direction.
Still, I was looking at her closely, Cecily & Gabriel; Charlotte & Henry; Gideon & Sophie; (view spoiler); Jem & Will...
“You hear that, James Carstairs? We are bound, you and I, over the divide of death, down through whatever generations may come. Forever.”
For a love like Will's & Jem's for each other. *sigh*
Somewhere on the book, Jem says that the oath of the Parabatai is not what gave them the eternal biding of them souls, that it was just something that gave words to this that already existed.
Both boys are more than brothers & blood has nothing to do with it. The love for each other is just one of the many definitions of love you can find, for not even a girl (even if THAT GIRL was Tessa) could cut them apart.
Not even death.
I really loved (2 tears, oh my god, TWO TEARS for the boys!!) Will & Jem.
& I loved the love they have.
For a love like theirs...

Well. Moving on, before I do something stupid (like freak out... or cry); Mortmain is a son of bitches kind of villain. & I am glad to say that, even if I respect him as the bad guy, the very thing he created was what also destroyed him.
*evil laugh here*
Of course, he delivered the speech all villains do, explaining his motives & exposing the childhood trauma that made him the wreck he was. He even explained detailedly how was Tessa created! (Yeeeeeah! One theory right bitch!). He was smart & loved irony but he underestimated Tessa & what he made of her.
She ended up LOVING Shadowhunters, the very thing he hated the most(!)

Now, his Infernal Devices
THE INFERNAL DEVICES ARE WITHOUT PITY.
Hmp, that scares the shit out of me, in the good way.
Mortmain's plain is what mind-blew me. It was very clear, maping carefully all the moves he had done since Clockwork Angel, but still, just as Tessa's conception, there were details that made me wonder & not have quite a clear idea of what he planed.
& this is exactly why I like him as a villain so much.
His planing has unexpected points that gave sense to the whole picture just once he delivered.
THE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING
Ah, never fear, his automatons army IS scary.
Steampunk-devilishly kind of scary.

I don't usually pick up teams.
I don't like to. Of course, I would root for one or another, but teams? Hell, no. So when I actually put on a shirt for someone it is in situations like this.
*chokes* I AM TEAM WILL OKAY?! *chokes a little more*
I like Jem, a lot, he's a great dude, but well, I just like Will more. In Tessa's case, I totally understand what she means by loving both of them. Actually what Woolsey says to Tessa is pretty much my opinion.
"On can love two, but your heart can be given in romantic love to only a single other. So novels would tell us, though I have no experiences of it myself.
[...] Most people are lucky to have even one great love in their life. You have found two."
Tessa has Will AND Jem, she loves both of them & they love her just as much.
& she could not love one more by loving the other less & vice versa. But Jem was to die... & everyone knew it would happen.
What I liked in their... situation, is that this wouldn't be Tessa's unilateral choice. She is to marry Jem because she loves him (obviously) & even if she would like to be with Will as well, Will chooses to stay apart because he loves Jem too.
It all is very confusing. As a fan, if the end was Will, without any other force intervening & no other making choices, regardless of Jem's dead, I would be happy.
As I come to find now, it never is as easy.

I mean endS because everyone gets an end, but Tessa. She will live eternally so she won't have her end.
There is an end for Will-&-Tessa another for Jem-&-Tessa, but not one named Tessa-Tessa.
The Will-&-Tessa end is one that comes as satisfying but also bittersweet. Because the guy I was putting my money on kind of won but at the end, my money is taken from me.
It is not okay, but I also understand. It got to me, to see Tessa & Will together.
Jem-&-Tessa end, on the other hand... well, I don't feel like winning or losing anything. Of course I love the fact that Tessa is with someone she loves, after all this time of solitude. I don't even think it as something bad since Will would have probably approved & all.
Still, there is something about this at the back of my mind. Is as if the thing hasn't had closure, so I don't know... yet.
It was Okay, but still... not entirely what I would have liked, since he made his own decisions.
Also (view spoiler)
Ah...
*sigh*,
*sigh*,
*sigh*.
My heart is confused, I tell you.
Though the consequences of those ends give me motives to keep reading City of Heavenly Fire, since City of Lost Souls was so frustrating.
At least I get to see Brother Zachariah, now that I know who he is.

So, whit all this, what else can I say to this books, to the characters that I somehow came to care so much for?
Ave Atque Vale.
Hail & farewell my dears.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Princess.

Quotes Valeria Liked

Cassandra Clare
“A very magnanimous statement, Gideon,” said Magnus.
“I’m Gabriel.”
Magnus waved a hand. “All Lightwoods look the same to me.”

Cassandra Clare
“Tessa craned her head back to look at Will. “You know that feeling,” she said, “when you are reading a book, and you know that it is going to be a tragedy; you can feel the cold and darkness coming, see the net drawing tight around the characters who live and breathe on the pages. But you are tied to the story as if being dragged behind a carriage and you cannot let go or turn the course aside.” His blue eyes were dark with understanding — of course Will would understand — and she hurried on. “I feel now as if the same is happening, only not to characters on a page but to my own beloved friends and companions. I do not want to sit by while tragedy comes for us. I would turn it aside, only I struggle to discover how that might be done.”
“You fear for Jem,” Will said.
“Yes,” she said. “And I fear for you, too.”
“No,” Will said, hoarsely. “Don’t waste that on me, Tess.”

Cassandra Clare
“She leaned forward and caught at his hand, pressing it between her own. The touch was like white fire through his veins. He could not feel her skin only the cloth of her gloves, and yet it did not matter. You kindled me, heap of ashes that I am, into fire. He had wondered once why love was always phrased in terms of burning. The conflagration in his own veins, now, gave the answer.”

Cassandra Clare
“THE INFERNAL DEVICES ARE WITHOUT PITY.
THE INFERNAL DEVICES ARE WITHOUT REGRET.
THE INFERNAL DEVICES ARE WITHOUT NUMBER.
THE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING.”

Cassandra Clare
“It's all very romantic," Gabriel said, and then frowned. "Or it would be, if my brother could get a word out without sounding like a choking frog. I fear he will not go down in history as one of the world's greatest wooers of women.”

Cassandra Clare
“For this I would be damned forever. For this I would have given up everything.”

Cassandra Clare
“At last, the wheel comes full circle”
Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Princess

03/19/2013 "Oh god, I did the stupidity of looking at the back of the jacket.

DON'T do it. Just... don't. *Face palm*"
03/19/2013 page 28
4.0% "The lack of certification hardly proves intelligence. Ah, Will, I had missed you."
03/20/2013 page 82
14.0% "So flirting, uh? Will is so going to kill you, Gabriel."
03/21/2013 page 183
32.0% "Oh, dear god Jem stop it! Please, jist... YOU ARE GOING TO DIE, okay? So stop being... yoir self."
03/21/2013 page 246
43.0% "Oh, for a love like Will & Jem's for each other *sigh*" 3 comments
03/22/2013 page 303
53.0% "Okay, if I cry from this point on, I will blame hormones, my ovaries, the weather & the flu, because you guys know how much I hate crying.
Specially brecause of a book."
03/22/2013 page 340
59.0% "Shit!
description

To be right about something but still get mind fucked when the theory proves right."
03/24/2013 page 426
75.0% "Ohhh, I had NEVER been so happy to see a Silent Brother in my life! Let alone 3 of them.
Brother Zachariah, wtf?"
03/24/2013 page 456
80.0% "Oh god, the SHOCK! & despair &.... nonononobutyesyesohNO!"
03/24/2013 page 508
89.0% "Okay, someone define crying for me, again."
03/25/2013 page 568
100.0% "Oh god.
Oh dear.
Oh... it is over.

Well, at least I can examine this genealogic thing closely now."

Mags~CVAddikt~ Great review!!!!
Yeah, poor Tessa, she will be alone ... eventually.

Valeria Andrea Mags~CVAddikt~Chaos defies imagination! wrote: "Great review!!!!
Yeah, poor Tessa, she will be alone ... eventually."

Thanks :D
Yeah that's what really shacked me at the end. That realization...
Oh well.

Mags~CVAddikt~ Ha! It's one of those moments you wish a YA book had a Paranormal Romance book ending, that somehow the hero and heroine become immortal and their love will last forever and ever until the end of time ... or some other immortal evil guy kills them ...

Valeria Andrea Jajaja, if I wished that, I'd go for someone else killing them off.
Is more fitting... Though I still think there is more for Jem's thing.
Some hidden reason, you know?

Mags~CVAddikt~ And the sad thing is that I'll have to endure Clary's drama one more book to test that theory, that there is more to Jem's cure.

CofHF is the last one ... right?

Valeria Andrea *groans* that's right. It is the last... of The Mortal Instruments.

Later comes the one that is in Los Angeles. I am THIS sure that Tessa & Jem appear in that book (they shall!) if just fleetingly.
There is more than they sailing to explore the world, hmp.

Mags~CVAddikt~ Nah!!! You read CoHF!!! ......... Who are we kidding?? We'll read it ... just to know what happens.

BTW .... Unravel Me ... you have to read it, I won't suffer alone!!! .... I swear to you I was tired of rolling my eyes ... Juliette is utterly stupid ... STUPID ... STUPID... Warner saves the book.

Valeria Andrea Oh dear, we are hopeless.

Warner is sweetheart. I will read that book... after I end the selection & other book I have there.
Hmm... more stupid than Clary in CoLS?

Mags~CVAddikt~ I can't believe I'm saying this but ... yes ... more than Clary ...

It's just that she made a bad choice after another and later she was so oblivious and ... "oh yeah I will change and make a difference and my goals" and a couple of hour later "Oops! I shouldn't be here eating happily while this and this happens and I should be interrogating X person about Y thing" ....

And then she rambles ...

"Sometimes I wonder about glue.
No one ever stops to ask glue hot it's holding up. If it's tired of sticking things together or worried about falling apart or wondering how it will pay its bills next week."

Maybe that's super deep that I don't understand ... how come glue can pay a bill ... how did it get in debt in the first place?

I get it, it's a metaphor but ... *sigh* not my fav writing style ...

Mitch Valeria wrote: "What if you read CoHF & then just tell me the pages where the theory is proven...?
"

Valeria Andrea Mitch wrote: "Valeria wrote: "What if you read CoHF & then just tell me the pages where the theory is proven...?
"

I've been looking for someone to do exactly that! (cause I don't like MI either...)"

Jaja, the last 2 books of TMI were specially frustrating. No worries! I'll pass you a note with the exact point of the... cure. (:

Valeria Andrea Mags~CVAddikt~Chaos defies imagination! wrote: "I can't believe I'm saying this but ... yes ... more than Clary ...

Without glue my life would fall apart. & that's not metaphor, that's serious shit.
I don't remember exactly what I liked (or disliked) about Juliette... maybe I should reread Shatter Me first(?).

Mags~CVAddikt~ Nah ... don'r re-read it ... you won't need to.

message 14: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Perfect review! I'm hoping to read this series ASAP. Btw, how did you get the text in it's own little paragraph indented? I'm not 100% there when it comes to Goodreads formatting :P lol

Valeria Andrea :D Thanks! It is a great series indeed *tear*

For the quote use the html < blockquote > Text in here < / blockquote > ;)

message 16: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Hmm, I guess my computer was being a pain in the butt!!!

TESTING TESTING 1 2 3