Rain Misoa's Reviews > Challenge

Challenge by Melissa Marr

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: manga
Recommended to Rain by: Library
Recommended for: Wicked Lovely fans and anyone who loves cute fox faeries!!!
Read from March 28 to 29, 2012, read count: 1

Man, am I glad I continued on with this series. This volume was a lot better than the first, in my opinion. I thought it was a lot more organized and put together than the last. It seemed more cleaner... more smooth. I know there are times when I am reading manga and it seems to only get worse and worse with each volume. However, with this one, it just went from being okay to something good. I think there are still some areas that needs improvement on but it is nothing compared to the first volume. I wonder if maybe Melissa Marr took what was lacking and just worked on that more? Or maybe it was because this volume focused a lot more on my favorite character so I'm just being a tad biased. Either way, I really think this volume was good and I just want to let out a sigh of relief because I thought it was going to suck. XP

Melissa Marr did a great job with this volume. But do you see what I meant when I said in my last review that I had a love/hate relationship with her? Sometimes I just can't stand the work that she writes. Other times, like this time, I just love it. It's such a strange relationship to have with an author. I usually love an author's work all the way or hate it all the way. Obviously, that's not the case with Marr. I think she did a lot better with telling the story this time around. Mind you, it still starts off confusing but I think that's the point. Later on in the manga things are revealed to you so you know what's going on. However, you still will need to have read the books to know EXACTLY what's happening. The only thing that I did not like about this volume was that there was a lot of mush towards the beginning of the manga, not enough action. I know some people like having romance in their manga... I'm not one of them. Sure, I can appreciate a good love story, but if that's the only thing that's going on without much else... just proves to be boring after a while. So when all I saw was Rika and Jayce being all lovey-dovey... I wanted to hang myself. There was literally nothing happening between those scenes. All the good stuff starts taking off towards the middle of the book, which is better than no having anything happen at all. I just wish it wasn't so forced down your throat. I'm also not a fan on how Marr portrays women (more on that later). Everything else was pretty good, however. The story started to feel like what Wicked Lovely is all about. I quite enjoyed myself with the manga's plot this time a lot more.

Xian Nu Studio did it again with it's amazing art! I just really like this art style. It's so cute! Despite the main guys looking like girls still, it's just beautiful! I noticed that when they were drawing the henchmen of Maili, they looked a lot like men. Maybe it was just the way they were told to draw the male leads... who knows? Point is, I don't really have any complaints towards the art. I like it. It suits my tastes and I feel it goes well with this type of manga. The scenery is another favorite of mine. I'm like the character designs, especially of the faeries, but the scenery to a lot of the panels are just gorgeous. I might be the only one who thinks so since a lot of it is wasteland so it's plain and barren... but I don't care! I like the simplicity of it all. Just love it! I can't wait to see more art done by this group.

Character time! Rika annoys the hell out of me. She's the main character and I will have to deal with her but sometimes I wish I could just smack the stupid out of her. As I said in my previous review, I love that she can fight. She knows how to hold her own when push comes to shove. The only thing that really gets to me about her is how weak she seems to be with men. (And this is where I have issues with Marr's portrayal of women.) She doesn't seem to know which guy she wants. Sometimes she wants Jayce, others Sion. There are points where she lets Keenan, the one she has no interest in anymore, get the better of her. What? Pathetic much? Girl if you're strong enough to kick some ass, then you are strong enough to not lower yourself to a bloody man. I hate how she seemed to boy hop a lot in this volume. From Jayce to Sion to back again. It was disgusting. -_-" Jayce is not the best character. I find him to be very bland. I thought he might have improved int his volume but he didn't. He's nice and all... but I need a little bit more out of my leading man. There's just something missing from him. Like... a personality. I don't hate him... I just find him boring. Keenan... he's a douche. Moving on. Maili appeared again! Yay! The one with the BEST character design! I just love her look. Her attitude is pretty good, too. She's a bit of a weakling but that's to be expected. She was created like that. *Shrugs* I still like her, though! She has so much fire to her~ My favorite character is Sion! He's just too cute! He's a fox faery for crying out loud! (I don't think that's a spoiler seeing as how you can see his ears on the cover of the book.) I love his personality a lot! He fun, courageous, intelligent, witty, manipulative, strong, hilarious, sweet, cute, he's everything I love in a man! I love how he himself tells people how he's not a nice person and he will deceive you if he had to. Just seeing someone have the balls to say that makes me feel really happy. In fact, he tells Rika that he's not good for her because he's not the type to go for long-term relationships. I respect that in a person. He cared enough to let her know instead of doing what Keenan did and played with her emotions. (It's probably the only reason why Rika hasn't thrown herself completely at Sion in the first place.) In short, he's awesome and I'm glad I was able to see more of him in this volume.

Seriously, guys... if you are a fan of the series, pick this up. You will enjoy yourself a whole lot. You get to see a little bit more between what was going on in the Summer Court as well as the rogue faeries. Mind you, there are still some minor flaws with this manga series but I don't feel they are big enough to hinder you from enjoying your experience with it. Give it a try! I have a feeling you might enjoy it quite a bit. Whoo! I am off to check out the third and final one to this manga. I'm both excited and bummed that this is coming to an end. I was enjoying myself. XP
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Challenge.

03/28/2012 page 1
1.0% "Moving on to volume two. Despite the minor complaints I had with the first book, I am excited to see where this is going to go. I hope to see more of Sion here~ <333"
03/28/2012 page 3
2.0% "So... Sion's a fox? *Blink blink* When did this happen? O_o"
03/28/2012 page 11
6.0% "Uh... I'm lost again. It seems Melissa Marr loves doing this in her first few chapters of her works. XD Oh well. I'm sure things will become clear. In other news, WAH! Maili is so sexy! Just look at the way she beat the crap out of Sion! Of course, he's all bloody up... but I like my men covered in blood. *Smirks* Also, he is, indeed, a fox. Who knew? XD"
03/28/2012 page 13
7.0% "Well, it seems Rika and Jayce got even closer than before. I wonder how much time has past. Three days since I last saw them!? -_-" Though I will admit... Jayce picking Rika up like that was cute... >_>"
03/29/2012 page 18
9.0% "So he already admitted to loving her. Took him longer than I thought. I mean, come on! We are already on page 18 for fuck's sake! You have to admit to loving her sooner! *Sarcasm*"
03/29/2012 page 25
13.0% "Ah! No! My baby! Ack! Why!? Why him!? I like him! Quick! Medic! Help him! *Flails* Me no like the hurt!!! I forgot about the whole "steel" thing. I was like, "Mmm~ He looks good in blood." *Slaps self* Now he's hurt! Ack! Why!? *Mutters* He still looks good in blood, though. XP"
03/29/2012 page 30
16.0% "Someone's pissed. Hell, I would be, too, if I found a dear friend of mine lying on the ground injured. And it's Sion! Of all people! *Sniffs* I want him to be okay. *Mutters again* I wish I could carry him... but seeing as how puny I am... I don't think that would ever be possible. >_<"
03/29/2012 page 33
17.0% "Don't be selfish, Jayce. He's injured! Besides, if she ends up with him, it's only because he has more of a personality than you. *Twitch* Don't get me wrong. I like Jayce. It's just he's a bit boring when compared to Sion. (okay. I'm biased. So what!?)"
03/29/2012 page 47
24.0% "Dude, I love Sion even more now. He seems to be so honest even though he shouldn't be trusted. I love how he told Rika that she should follow her instincts and that he's one to always be deceitful. He's not trying to play nice but he is loyal. Even if he is a bit out there. He admitted to not wanting anything "long term" which is nice to know up front. Rika, however, is getting on my nerves. She's with Jayce (cont.)"
03/29/2012 page 47
24.0% "yet she still seems to want to be with Sion. Bitch, make up your mind. You can't have both. The only reason she seems to be picking Jayce over Sion is because Sion said that he wants someone to always be with her. To love her. Not to use her just for sex (which is what he would do, so he says). That's the ONLY reason. *Sighs* This is a little annoying... Marr sure does love her sex, it would seem. <_<"
03/29/2012 page 60
31.0% "I think I'm going to be sick... too much mush... not enough ACTION!!!"
03/29/2012 page 63
33.0% "PFFFFTTTT!!! *Cracks up* Oh, that was good! I LOVE Sion. He's just... oh man! The way he just flaunts himself, in front of Keenan! Dude, that was just epic. Keenan, you know you can't resist that ass! XD <3333"
03/29/2012 page 66
34.0% "Sion pulled a Cloud. *Giggles*" 4 comments
03/29/2012 page 69
36.0% "...69. *Coughs* I just love how amusing this confrontation between Rika and Keenan is. He's just laughing his ass off! Oh my God! Can he get any better? XD He defends what he believes in so much yet he's just like "LOL I don't have to listen to you. You suck! Tee-Hee-Hee!" X3 He's so much fun."
03/29/2012 page 71
37.0% "*Still cracking up* Sion~ <333"
03/29/2012 page 77
40.0% "*Smirks* Sion, what are you up to? Hmm? *Snickers*"
03/29/2012 page 83
43.0% "...that's a bunch of bull, Rika. You are basically dying to be with Sion. Admit it. *Sighs* It seems I never like the female lead in ANY of Melissa Marr's books. They all suck. I only like her female villains. They are badass! >:3"
03/29/2012 page 85
44.0% "Whoa... that's a lot of tongue used in that kiss. O_o Um... okay then. XP"
03/29/2012 page 88
46.0% "Badass drawing to the rescue! She kinda looks like a cat, though... and them eyelashes. X3"
03/29/2012 page 97
51.0% "Jayce is drawing Sion when he's acting like a child... THIS IS TOO CUTE BEYOND WORDS RIGHT NOW!!! XD"
03/29/2012 page 103
54.0% "They mentioned Donia again. I like her. I wonder if we will get to see her? But seeing as how Sion is against being loyal to anyone in the court, I doubt it. Oh well. Worth the shot."
03/29/2012 page 105
55.0% "Dude... that drawing that Jayce did of Sion... I think he's trying to say something... "dinner." That's EXACTLY what he's trying to say! XD And Sion's reactions are just priceless. I can't get enough of them. XD"
03/29/2012 page 107
56.0% "Sion... baby... *Hugs* <333"
03/29/2012 page 113
59.0% "I don't care how close or good friends you are. Walking up to someone, kissing them on the forehead, and letting them place their hands on your face in front of you BOYFRIEND is NOT something you should be doing. Just. NO! Bad Rika! You fail!"
03/29/2012 page 115
60.0% "Jayce's drawing of the interactions between Rika and Sion are hilarious, though. XD"
03/29/2012 page 119
62.0% "He might like Jayce... and he needs not only Rika but Jayce as well... ah, the yaoi vibes are starting to kick me~ X3"
03/29/2012 page 127
66.0% "Whoa! Ease off the piercings, dude. That can't be good for you... didn't that hurt? O_O"
03/29/2012 page 129
67.0% "Sexy lady Maili is back! Whoo!!! LOVE her character design! <333"
03/29/2012 page 130
68.0% "Oh my God... what a douche! What a sick bastard! Why would you do something like that!? Ugh! That's just gross... but an effective way for gaining control over the situation so... kudos to you. XD The manga really is picking up on the action again. Sweet!"
03/29/2012 page 137
71.0% "And she's already down. Wow, Rika. For being the "strongest," you sure did go down easily in that fight. -_-""
03/29/2012 page 145
76.0% "POW! Right in the kisser! XD She's starting to kick some ass! That's more like it!"
03/29/2012 page 153
80.0% "Oh, shut up, Rika. What he did was for your happiness. He didn't betray you like Keenan did. He was looking out for you. So shut the hell up and be grateful, you little twit. -_-"""""
03/29/2012 page 155
81.0% "My reaction exactly, Sion. *Sighs* Rika's a bloody moron."
03/29/2012 page 156
81.0% "Oh, the moment you feel threatened, you run to the other guy... I fucking hate you. -_-""
03/29/2012 page 160
83.0% "AJSBSJBFSKFHNSJKDNKNHKNDKBNDKCFN THEY SHOWED DONIA! AWESOME! I LOVE DONIA! She was pretty awesome in the books so seeing her here makes me very excited. Anyway, this is the end of the second volume. The next few pages are previews to the fourth book. I haven't read that one yet. I wonder if it's any good... Hmm..."
03/29/2012 page 192
100.0% "Alrighty then. This volume was a definite improvement over the last. There are still a few bugs to work out but it was a lot smoother and a lot more focused, I feel. Of course, this might have to do with the majority of the book being focused on Sion but I digress. X3 I enjoyed this one a lot more. Whoo! Review time!"

message 1: by N.T. Embe (new)

N.T. Embe [Moved to Leafmarks] asjdfasjkdasfgasildasd FOX FAERIEEEEEEEEEE. I like people who have the guts to SAY what it is they're THINKING. -3- *Grumbles*

Rain Misoa HE'S LIKE THE COOLEST EVER!!! When I found out he was a fox faerie, I went all ballistic! Sexy man is sexy! And yeah! I appreciated that about him, too! I love how he said the truth from the very beginning. He wasn't trying to deceive anyone. Rika's just an idiot who couldn't appreciate that about him. Moron... -_-"

message 3: by N.T. Embe (new)

N.T. Embe [Moved to Leafmarks] *Rolls eyes* Most women are idiots today, it seems. -3- Dumbasses.

Rain Misoa Couldn't agree with you more.