Julianna Helms's Reviews > Prodigy

Prodigy by Marie Lu

**STARRED REVIEW**

**Actual, full review** Original will be posted here on my blog on January 22nd, 2013. (Note: due to copy-and-paste, formatting and links have been lost.)

Darn it, Marie. If I actually cussed, I would be throwing out a firecracker of expletives right now.

I read this book a while ago, so I don't remember every nook and cranny of it. But here is what I do remember: every time I think about it, I just want to weep and simultaneously punch a wall. I still freeze every time someone mentions it because I just. freaking. can't.

Gosh, Marie, why do you keep doing this to me?!?!? The writing was so concise yet impactful that it was actually more than beautiful: it was unforgettable. The plot was SO action-packed it was like watching a James Bond movie while experiencing Inception. It was so insanely fast-paced and heart-robbing that I couldn't even move until I finished the book. It's the ultimate definition of unputdownable. And also, I'd like to think, unforgivable, because it gave me such immense amounts of pain that I just- no no no no no I'm going to cry again no no no

ARGH. MARIE. Y U KEEP HAUNTING ME LIKE THIS.

You think I'm not being serious, but I really am. I just can't make any sort of "serious" sense right now because I'm so emotionally distraught. I feel very compromised. Like if I say one more word I'll topple back into the hole of GIVEMEBOOK3NOWNOWNOWNOWNOW-

Oh wait. I'm already so deep in this hole, I've forgotten about the world above.

Prodigy, though, in a word, is lost. So many sacrifices, so many fears, so many character developments, so many plot twists, so much genius that even a hundred Hershey's bars wouldn't stack up in comparison. This book was not a rollercoaster: it was a freaking cannonball. You don't even get the time to prepare with the proper goggles before Marie pushes you into the waters from a height beyond Shangri-la. Then the words wrap around you like air currents and slam you down into the water with a splash that hurt more than a hundred million bombs setting on fire.

Okay fine, so I'm exaggerating, but you know what? This book had me sobbing more than I did for my ma back as a wee lad, so if I'm gonna make some exaggerations, at least they're made out of honest sadness.

Rest assured: I plan very much on surviving this new year, lest I miss the conclusion to this tear-jerking, me-making-it-sound-extremely-melodramatic-when-it's-really-just-ugly-heart-breaking saga of unparalleled epicness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prodigy.

Comments (showing 1-22)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 22: by Kiki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiki OMFGWTFHOWHOWHOW HAVE YOU READ THIS BOOOOK?

Whaaaaaat? Where did you get it? Where did you...? How did you...?

I haven't been this jealous since I found out that Matthew McConaughey was getting married.

Julianna Helms Kira wrote: "OMFGWTFHOWHOWHOW HAVE YOU READ THIS BOOOOK?

Whaaaaaat? Where did you get it? Where did you...? How did you...?

I haven't been this jealous since I found out that ..."

I got it at ALA, after a super long wait in line. :) Would you like to borrow it? (another friend of mine is currently borrowing it, but after her, would you?)

Julianna Helms Kira wrote: "OMFGWTFHOWHOWHOW HAVE YOU READ THIS BOOOOK?

Whaaaaaat? Where did you get it? Where did you...? How did you...?

I haven't been this jealous since I found out that ..."

But ah... this book may kill you. It sure did me, but I resurrected so I can read book #3.

message 19: by Kiki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiki Julianna wrote: "Kira wrote: "OMFGWTFHOWHOWHOW HAVE YOU READ THIS BOOOOK?

Whaaaaaat? Where did you get it? Where did you...? How did you...?

I haven't been this jealous since I fo..."

Um, hell to the yeah!

Oh, jeez....now I'm so excited my boobs might pop...

Julianna, you're the BEST. I wuv woo.

Julianna Helms Kira wrote: "Julianna wrote: "Kira wrote: "OMFGWTFHOWHOWHOW HAVE YOU READ THIS BOOOOK?

Whaaaaaat? Where did you get it? Where did you...? How did you...?

I haven't been this j..."

:D Glad to help, comrade!

Julianna Helms PM me your address! :)

Kaina :O no wayyyy! what happened oh jeez im dying here

Julianna Helms Kaina wrote: ":O no wayyyy! what happened oh jeez im dying here"

Hey, if you haven't read it yet, please don't rate it. :) I know this book is awesome and all, but it's just not fair to even unintentionally and indirectly alter the rating system--it might/will cause inconvenience to others who buy books based on ratings. I know a bunch of people rate books they haven't read, and I can't possibly tell this to them all, but I hope you'll do the right thing and cancel your rating. :) Instead, be excited and talk about that in your review space! :)

Thanks!

P.S. Can't tell ya what happened. You gotta read the book. :)

Kaina Julianna wrote: "Kaina wrote: ":O no wayyyy! what happened oh jeez im dying here"

I didnt know it could indirectly alter the rating system Ill take it down ASAP :) thx for letting me know

Julianna Helms Kaina wrote: "Julianna wrote: "Kaina wrote: ":O no wayyyy! what happened oh jeez im dying here"

Thank YOU for being awesome. <333 Yeah, since Goodreads calculate the average of all the ratings, people sometimes look at the average rating and go, "oh, it's all 5 stars! I need to buy it then!" but those 5-stars might not be given by people who've actually read the book. It's not a bad thing, just something that I don't personally approve of. :) So I'm sooo glad you did the right thing. *internet high five* I hope/know you'll love PRODIGY!

message 12: by Kiki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiki OH MY HOLY CRAP JULI. I HAVE TOO MANY EMOTIONS. THIS BOOK. I CAN'T...I CAN'T EVEN.

Julianna Helms Kira wrote: "OH MY HOLY CRAP JULI. I HAVE TOO MANY EMOTIONS. THIS BOOK. I CAN'T...I CAN'T EVEN."

I KNOW, KIRA, I KNOW. T.T I WEEP WITH YOU.

message 10: by Kiki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiki Juli.

OH MY GOD.

THE ENDING.

I CANNOT EVEN

I CAN'T

I

I AM SO LOST FOR WORDS.

Julianna Helms Kira wrote: "Juli.

OH MY GOD.

THE ENDING.

I CANNOT EVEN

I CAN'T

I

I AM SO LOST FOR WORDS."

IT IS MINDBLOWING.

Christina Wilder I wish I didn't have to wait for this, but alas, I do.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Julianna Helms Aiman wrote: "plz tell me there isnt a love triangle O.O because then i will kill my self *loads gun ;/"

Hey, not all love triangles are bad. They just have a bad reputation because too many authors misuse them. I assure you that this is not one to worry about. I have tons of friends who absolute hate love triangles that ended up loving this one. Don't judge a book simply because of its romance--look at the story as a whole, yeah?

message 5: by Farhin (new) - added it

Farhin I can't wait for this one, it's officially out this month right?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Julianna wrote: "Aiman wrote: "plz tell me there isnt a love triangle O.O because then i will kill my self *loads gun ;/"

I know :( but it's just that Day and June are perfect together and I would hate seeing them get separated that's all ;p but I really am excited to see wats going to happen next when they plot to kill the elector's son ;D * evil smile

message 3: by Sofie (new) - added it

Sofie Oh my gosh!!! You got a copy!?!?!?! You have to tell me how PLEASE!?!?!

Yeily I Cant wait to read it !!!
I'm so exited !!!
Is it AMAZING like the other one ???

message 1: by Claire (new)

Claire Boettcher this describes exactly how i felt when i closed the book. EVERYTHING WAS SO FRIKIN FINE and then BOOM ughh