Blue's Reviews > First Date

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: ebook-galleys, 2012, 2012-dac
Read from March 28 to 29, 2012

Originally posted here!

I really liked this book, hence the four stars. Even though the plot is sort of cliche and predictable, I liked how cute it was and how Krista McGee incorporated Christian belief into it through Addy, the book's protagonist. Despite the simplicity of the plot, the characterization was well-thought out, and each one has a distinct personality. It was easy to relate to them, especially Addy, and why they did what they did in the story was understandable. Also, I loved how this book, despite initially seeming to be a cute love story at first sight, managed to make me return to my faith with a renewed vigor and understanding. It is also admirable how the insertion of things related to religion is not stifling; in fact, it was just right. Not too much to alienate people of other religions, for instance, and not too little that it did not make any effect.

I admit, I am a sucker for well-known/nobody pairings, which is partly why I chose to read this from my ever-mounting TBR pile. It's an interesting dynamic, don't you think? A reality TV show to be the prom date of the president's son? It was partly intriguing, partly preposterous for me. I couldn't help thinking, 'Wow, what a guy. A reality TV show just to pick a date? Really?' and believe me, I thought that throughout the first parts of the book, but Jonathon (not a typo, that's really how it's spelled) proved to be endearing, so no problem.

What I wished I could have seen more of was Addy's relationship with the other contestants. I mean, she had her roommate (trailer-mate?) Kara as her buddy throughout the duration of the show, and it was finely established that the other girls hated everything about her, but I felt bad at the lack of closure. Much as Addy wished to help change people for the better, she was able to do that with only a few people - which is really remarkable, I'm not complaining - but I wonder what would have happened if the other girls finally softened
and were ready to be friends with Addy. Still, I guess that lack of that made this a bit more realistic, so it's okay.

I really enjoyed First Date. I haven't read much Christian fiction, and I hardly knew this was one before reading it, but I have no regrets! This is Krista McGee's first novel, and I like it. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for more of her work in the future if I were you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Date.