Sarah's Reviews > Desert Solitaire

Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey

Aug 09, 12

bookshelves: environment-animals, favorites

Browsing through dusty shelves at Ken Sanders Rare Books, I’ve found many an old gem; this is one of those exquisite discoveries. Now on my official top-ten favorite reads list, Desert Solitaire is poetic and utterly melancholic. As Abbey describes the vast and lonely beauty of Utah’s southernmost deserts, I am reminded with a heavy heart that these once-remote and pristinely wild areas are now mostly paved, plastered with human waste, and exposed to the inevitable destruction of tire and tread.

Abbey called it- even in 1968, he could clearly see the bulldozers and vehicle-bound tourists charging their way through every wilderness protection program and preservation law in the books. He was sadly correct in his doomsday predictions. Indeed, he may have been one of the last human beings to walk the dusty, utterly natural desert paths and camp, alone, underneath the vast expanse of Utah’s desert sky.

This book is at once a call to arms to protect what wilderness we have left, and a poignant eulogy for a desert that was once wild and beautiful and free.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desert Solitaire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena (new)

Lena English This is my dads all-time favorite book. He has like 8 copies of it. I have never read it, but I guess its good!