Laura's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Jan 08, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, books-of-2014, romance
Read in October, 2011

I liked the beginning of the book but as the story wore on it got a little crazy and weird. The plot just took some weird twists and turns that were unexpected and weird. The writing was ok, not the best but it wasn't bad either.

12-19-14
I re-read this book. I realized I liked it better than I did the last time, but there were new things that bothered me. The writing was not fantastic, but Taylor is great at world building and plot. I loved how this is a romance, without having the part about "finding each other" and falling in love. This book can focus more on other plot points. I love that characters, Zuzana and Mik. I think that Karou was too perfect. There were no physical or character flaws. She was perfect. Almost as if this she was what the author wanted to be in a perfect life.
There were enough good things in this book to make up with the bad, like Kaz, what significance does he have other than stuff that could have been said less elaborate. But that whole itch scene is hilarious (view spoiler)

"I don't know many rules to live by, but here's one. It's simple. Don't put anything unnecessary into yourself. No poisons or chemicals, no fumes or smoke or alcohol, no sharp objects, no inessential needles - drug or tattoo - and... no inessential penises, either."

"Home. The word always had air quotes around it in her mind. She'd done what she could to make her flat cozy[...] But there was no help for its real emptiness; its close air was stirred by no breath but her own."

Quotes Laura Liked

Laini Taylor
“Peace is more than the absence of war. Peace is accord. Harmony.”

Laini Taylor
“Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.”

Laini Taylor
“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.”

Laini Taylor
“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love.

It did not end well.”

Laini Taylor
“I don't know many rules to live by,' he'd said. 'But here's one. It's simple. Don't put anything unnecessary into yourself. No poisons or chemicals, no fumes or smoke or alcohol, no sharp objects, no inessential needles--drug or tattoo--and...no inessential penises either.'

'Inessential penises?' Karou had repeated, delighted with the phrase in spite of her grief. 'Is there any such thing as an essential one?'

'When an essential one comes along, you'll know,' he'd replied.”

Laini Taylor
“It is a condition of monsters that they do not perceive themselves as such. The dragon, you know, hunkered in the village devouring maidens, heard the townsfolk cry 'Monster!' and looked behind him.”

Laini Taylor
“It's not like there's a law against flying."

"Yes there is. The law of gravity.”

Laini Taylor
“Like mold on books, grow myths on history.”

Laini Taylor
“Have you ever asked yourself, do monsters make war, or does war make monsters?”