Justin's Reviews > Unraveling

Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris

Apr 02, 12

Read from March 28 to April 02, 2012

I really wish I had been in the mood to sit down and read this book in one day. It's really one of those books that would be perfect for that. It's amazing how many awesome debut novels there have been only a few months into the year. And Unraveling is easily one of the best of debut novels so far this year. I've heard it be compared to different things, but honestly I haven't read some of the books that I have heard it be compared to so it's all very unique to me. I was just really impressed by Elizabeth's writing and how suspenseful she was able to make the story.

The story started off fairly normal. It's interesting how the wreck at the beginning of the book plays such a huge part in the story. At first glance, you just figure Janelle was in a coma or something after being hit, you don't really question if there could be more to it than that which would explain why she survived it. I mean people survive all kinds of freak accidents, so why is this case such a big deal? Later on in the story you really get to know Ben and his two friends, especially after something happens to someone Janelle knows. But once you start learning more about Ben and his friends, you really start to questions things you thought you knew towards the beginning of the story. Janelle's dad is working on a case, since he is an FBI agent it's a pretty big one.. but you don't really find out much about it until Janelle joins in on it.

It's just really interesting to see how Elizabeth makes it to where you think you know what could be going on, and then you are thrown in a completely different direction once some of the facts start coming out. Is the Earth really what it seems to be? The earth in the book is the same exact earth that we live on, so why would I ask that? Just a little food for thought, I really wish I could go into more detail but I don't want to give anything away. It's really awesome once you start to get some answers, and figure everything out.

I was a little surprised by the ending, it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I am really excited to see where this series goes. At first I thought it was a stand alone, because I couldn't find any information about sequels. Which had me a little dissapointed, because the book ends in somewhat of a cliff hanger so you would just automatically think there would be a sequel. Luckily, it sounds like there will be at least two more books in this seres so I can't wait to see what happens with Janelle and Ben in the next book, especially after this whirlwind of an ending to book one.

I really hope you all will check out this book once it's out on the 24th. It's really amazing, and I feel like it's one that many people can enjoy. I think this series is easily going to find it's place among the current YA heavyweights and I can't wait to see what everyone thinks of it once it's released. It's well worth adding to your reading list for the end of this month or for May.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unraveling.