Christina's Reviews > After

After by Amy Efaw

Mar 28, 2012

Read in March, 2012

This book is about a Devon, a 15 year old girl who becomes pregnant. Devon senses she is pregnant, but denies it, and so does everyone around her. The day she gives birth, Devon gives birth on her bathroom floor, and places the infant in a plastic bag and puts the bag in a dumpster behind her apartment complex. Soon after, a man who is walking is dog finds the baby in the dumpster. Devon is arrested and placed in a juvenile detention center. She is also charged with several crimes, including attempted murder of her newborn.

A good portion of the book is about how her lawyer, Dom, tries to fight to keep Devon in a juvenile detention center, instead of Devon being charged as an adult and having to go to an adult prison. As we read about the trial, we learn about Devon's life, how she loves soccer, how her mom has 2 jobs and is more concerned with hooking up with men, and the events that led up to the birth of her daughter. At the end of the book, the judge decides to keep Devon in a juvenile detenton center...but Devon decides to plead guilty to all charges because she knows deep down that she knew she was pregnant, and didn't want to be like her mother.

I loved this book..I couldn't put it down! However, I didn't like the ending...I was happy that Devon was given a chance to go to a juvenile detention center instead of prison..I was unhappy that even though her lawyer wanted to fight for Devon's freedom, Devon pleaded guilty anyway..I also felt that there was one thing that was not mentioned: What happened after Devon pleaded guilty? Did she still get to go to the juvenile detention center? Did she go to an adult prison? I hope there is a second book that will clarify my questions!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After.