Oleg Kagan's Reviews > Good Boss, Bad Boss: How to Be the Best... and Learn from the Worst

Good Boss, Bad Boss by Robert I. Sutton

Oct 04, 14

bookshelves: idea-books
Read in March, 2012

While most business books make me want to throw myself into a deep hole head first, Good Boss, Bad Boss provided the kind of structured, no-nonsense advice that I can appreciate.

Originally, I got this book because I was in the mood for bad boss stories, and this book delivered on that to an extent. Though the case studies (good and bad) were sprinkled throughout, I found myself more drawn to descriptions of what made a good boss.

Good bosses fight for their people, good bosses tame their inner-asshole, good bosses let their people know what to expect, good bosses make decisions, are all bits of advice found in Good Boss, Bad Boss. None of these things are new, but based on the research cited in the book, a great many bosses have no clue.

Maybe not all, but at the very least, most bosses need to read this book.

----

Update (4 October 2014) - I've now been a boss for around five months, and I decided to revisit Sutton's excellent book. I'm glad I did because it reminded me about all of the above, and more, since I'm now in a place to notice new nuances in his instructions and examples. But because I'm still new at managing (in an institutional setting), I will likely return to this one again, but next time, I'll probably read the book and take notes instead of listening to the audio as I did this time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Boss, Bad Boss.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Thanks for the recommendation!