Lauraadriana's Reviews > But My Boyfriend Is

But My Boyfriend Is by K.A. Mitchell

Mar 28, 2012

bookshelves: buy-asap, cant-wait-to-read-this, m-m, super-super-hot, interracial, yay-i-think-im-gay
Read from August 20 to 22, 2012 , read count: 2

3.75 Stars

I liked this book, didn't LOVE it. But I did LIKE it. First of all KA Mitchell can write up some quality hotness that I know, and I was not disappointed there. I thought she did a GREAT job of writing the character of Dylan as well. Dylan is a young black man that is DEEPLY in denial about his homosexuality. He has sexual encounters with men, but he is NOT gay.

So, after his twin brother is victim of a gay bashing at a park where Dylan frequently goes looking for hook ups...His worlds collide, and the guilt from thinking that his brother's attack might have been partly his fault is a very hard pill to swallow. He already is the "fuck-up" of the two...While Darryl is the honor student, Dylan is the line cook at a restaurant who has no more aspirations than to follow Darryl wherever he goes.

To add to the mix, the guy that helped Darryl during the attack...A white guy named Mike (a very HOT white guy) is well...VERY interested in Dylan...Dylan is interested back. In just fucking of course, since HE IS NOT GAY!!!.

Mike who is a trainer for the UT Austin football team (and also totally cool with keeping things on the d/l since he wants to keep his job) and not looking for a relationship, goes along with Dylan's fuckery of not even acknowledging he could be gay, the sex is good, the kid is hot, and well he really can't help himself.

Dylan has a LOT of shit going on, his family treats him like a fuck up, he's losing his brother, the guilt is killing him and on top of that he's pretty much on this side of "totally smitten'...With a dude.

Things are complicated, but Mike starts getting under Dylan's skin...Little by little with a LOT of fucking to lubricate his self-loathing issues, until he can admit that "yes he likes cock", especially Mike's.

This story for the most part worked for me, there was a lot of sex, that is true, but #1 It's KA Mitched so I expected that and #2 these guys were fucking and nothing else to begin with, and they are dudes so, it is reasonable that the sex will be coming (pun intended) in large quantities.

Dylan was immature, and SO STUBBORN, but I thought his character was really well. African American men, especially those with Dylan's background would not deal well with being gay, even if his family is accepting, the streets are not. So, I liked how he was portrayed.

Mike I understood a bit less, but I liked him well enough.

All in all, I wish this book would have been a few chapters longer, I was right there with them until the deus ex machina, and then the progression was WAY too fast for me.

I liked it. The erotica was HOT.

Hope Tate's book is next.

Re-Read July 24, 2013 I have to up this to 4 Stars
The second time around this book was WAY better than the first for me...I've come to realize with KA Mitchell I'm so juiced for the smut when she comes out with a book that I have a hard time actually focusing...Granted sometimes the story is just not there (Bad Attitude) so the sexy is really the star, and sometimes the perfection is so overwhelmingly awesome (Bad Boyfriend) that everything is good. But this book was pretty damn good with the story and with the smut equally specially the interacial thing...I didn't give thsi enough praise in my initial review. I really liked this book, I'd recommend a re-read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read But My Boyfriend Is.

08/20/2012 "Fuck sleep! It's KA Mitchell bitches!!!" 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 28, 2012 05:56PM) (new)

O.O

How did you manage this? Do we know anything about the story?

Is this the one with one of the twins from Collision Course? I think so, maybe.

message 2: by Adriana (new) - added it

Adriana I don't know what I like more about this book, the title, the guy on the cover, that is KA Mitchel or that is from the Florida Series, can't wait!

description

Lauraadriana LOL My lovely namesake Adriana put the link on my profile. I don't even need a blurb! Jeepers look at that papi. He looks BAD!

Lauraadriana Adriana wrote: "I don't know what I like more about this book, the title, the guy on the cover, that is KA Mitchel or that is from the Florida Series, can't wait!

"

It shall be read!

message 5: by Jayhjay (new) - added it

Jayhjay So excited about this one. I am almost positive this is one of Aaron's brothers (the twin) but I can't remember which one.

Lauraadriana Jayhjay wrote: "So excited about this one. I am almost positive this is one of Aaron's brothers (the twin) but I can't remember which one."

Ooh yeah Aaron's brother! I can't wait for this book.

TeeTee woo talk about papi chulo

Lauraadriana Tanya wrote: "woo talk about papi chulo"

Oh yes! Papi chulo indeed!

Edina Rose Just saw THE COVER! Look at the eyes! I'm sure he is BAAAD!

Edina Rose @ Adriana: Nice pic!

Fangtasia LA, that boy has to be Dominican or Puertorican, and those lips are made for sin! Yum...

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Three days before our birthday, love! LOL

Lauraadriana Nikyta wrote: "Three days before our birthday, love! LOL"

That's right baby girl! Happy Birthday to us :O)

@Fangtasia, those are some mighty fine lips I agree, and FOR SURE Dominician or Boricua!

message 14: by Adriana (new) - added it

Adriana Confirmation: The book is about Dylan, Aaron's brother from Collition Course

Virginia Oh, no, Darryl gets hurt???? And we all knew Dylan was checking out Joey's butt too much to be straight :)

message 16: by Adriana (new) - added it

Adriana Did you see the short story that KA Mitchell posted? Is about Aaron and Joey and is set before this book. Link: http://ka-mitchell.livejournal.com/15...

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Did one of them almost die before the I Love You's came? I hate when there's some random almost death thrown in.

Lauraadriana ♥Laddie♥ wrote: "Did one of them almost die before the I Love You's came? I hate when there's some random almost death thrown in."

Weeeell these two guys are not really the "I love you baby" type

Chris I feel like I got cheated out of a couple of chapters that should've been between the last two chapters, or the last chapter and the "I'm really an epilogue, but I'm called the final chapter" chapter...

message 20: by Lauraadriana (last edited Aug 22, 2012 05:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lauraadriana Chris wrote: "I feel like I got cheated out of a couple of chapters that should've been between the last two chapters, or the last chapter and the "I'm really an epilogue, but I'm called the final chapter" chapt..."

Totally...and I couuld have used the scene (view spoiler)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Ditto. To both of your comments.

Chris Yes. THAT scene in particular, since it was such a big deal. Hmm. Maybe that's why I was inspired to reread Drunk Text earlier today...

Lauraadriana Chris wrote: "Yes. THAT scene in particular, since it was such a big deal. Hmm. Maybe that's why I was inspired to reread Drunk Text earlier today..."

Yeah...I'm reading My Hostage, My Love right now, but might have to reread Bad Boyfriend talk about Magnum Opus...It's gonna be hard to top that...

Chris Dammit. Now I want to go reread Bad Boyfriend. Pretty sure I'll never reread Bad Company. I could barely stand mention of that couple in Bad Boyfriend! :D

Lauraadriana Chris wrote: "Dammit. Now I want to go reread Bad Boyfriend. Pretty sure I'll never reread Bad Company. I could barely stand mention of that couple in Bad Boyfriend! :D"

I HATED Bad Company, but Eli and Quinn...Sighs LOVE THEM

message 26: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess Can these be read as a stand alone? I want to read this NOW and ive only read books 1 and 2 looooooooong ago

Hugs