Hannah's Reviews > Now You See Her

Now You See Her by Linda Howard

Apr 04, 12

bookshelves: audio, contemporary, paranormal-romance, read-2012, romance, romantic-suspense, mystery
Read from March 28 to April 04, 2012

I was very intrigued by the paranormal elements in Now You See Her at the beginning of the novel. Sweeney's psychic abilities were interesting and well-described. If the whole book had followed the tone of the first few chapters, I think this would probably have become my favorite Linda Howard novel. Unfortunately, once the murder mystery plot line began, Now You See Her suddenly felt like every other romantic suspense book I've ever read. Add in a romantic subplot that was so conflict-free that it felt like an afterthought, and the most snooze-worthy hero I've encountered in a while, and this book turned out to be something of a disappointment.

I was particularly bothered by how Sweeney became a progressively less interesting character over the course of the novel. Something about her relationship with Richard dimmed the aspects of her personality that I found captivating in the beginning. I feel like she needed to be paired with a hero who was as screwed up as she was, not a big, strong, accepting, and conveniently wealthy man who would take care of her and negate all the ill-effects of her abilities. Their relationship was comforting, but it wasn't interesting.

Now You See Her started out feeling like it was going to be really different from the norm, but it turned into a repeat of many other romantic suspense novels I've read. It wasn't bad; it just wasn't new.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Now You See Her.