Caris's Reviews > Hyperlinked History: A Multifaceted Journey Through Time

Hyperlinked History by Daniel Messer

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: 2012, kindle
Read from March 28 to April 01, 2012

I’ve always disliked history as a subject. As a concept, I think it’s great. Things happened. It’s indisputable. But the study of things that happened is difficult for me. It’s all very subjective. Even when there are first-person accounts of historical happenings, their very remembrance is suspect. Why this? Why not that? Why him? Why not him? Why is it never, ever her?

The history that I was taught was propagandist, racist, and sexist. It was also dreadfully boring. We learned about wars, the men who fought them, and why they were important to America (fuck yeah).

This book is a kind of antidote to mainstream history. What Howard Zinn did for the shitty shit that’s propagated in history textbooks, Daniel Messer has done for the abysmally boring. Hyperlinked History is a meandering conversation with a destination in mind. It’s like a National Lampoon’s Vacation movie- you know the destination is Wally World or Las Vegas or Christmas, but you have no idea how the fuck you’re going to get there.

And that’s the fun part.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hyperlinked History.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! We learned about wars, the men who fought them, and why they were important to America (fuck yeah).

Yep. We had the same history classes.

Caris Did you ever learn anything about Korea in high school?

message 3: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! It was one paragraph, I think. In a chapter we skipped, hah.

Caris You should read it now. It was exciting.

message 5: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! But what if I blink while reading it! I could miss it all over again!

Caris Don't blink!

message 7: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! But my eyes! They so smaaall already! The blink is their natural position!

Caris Stop fucking blinking!

message 9: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Natural position! Natural position! You roundeye no know!

Caris Toothpicks!

message 11: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Scissors!

Caris And we finally find agreement.

Caris I thought of that but was unwilling to Google. Good searching.

Caris I would love to hook that thing to your head if you need assistance.

message 16: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! I actually came to that term via The Simpsons. Remember the episode where Mr. Burns brainwashes Santa's Little Helper? Ludovico technique is referenced.

message 17: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Strock I love that you read this!!!

Caris Adrienne wrote: "I love that you read this!!!"

How could I not?!

Caris Eh?Eh! wrote: "I actually came to that term via The Simpsons. Remember the episode where Mr. Burns brainwashes Santa's Little Helper? Ludovico technique is referenced."

Of course! How could I have forgotten?