Kali's Reviews > Spells

Spells by Aprilynne Pike

Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: fey-fairies, own, young-adult, disappointed, fantasy, paranormal, love-triangle
Read from April 02 to 03, 2012

This is actually only getting three stars because even though I wasn't very into the story, it wasn't a bad story. It just wasn't for me. I would probably rate this as a 1 or 2 in all actuality, but because I finished it in about a day and didn't dislike a whole lot of anything it gets three.

This was okay. I couldn't really get into it. I felt like nothing was ever happening (except like three chapters?) I already started the third and I like it much more than I liked this one. Spells felt like one big description to me. Personally, I don't care much for just romances, and that's what this book felt like to me. So nothing was actually wrong with it besides there was no action/adventure, but that isn't what this book is and I knew that going in. The first book just had a lot going on so I expected it to be the same with this one.

I actually can't pinpoint what bothered me specifically besides it just didn't have enough action, I thought the love triangle might start to annoy me at some point but it never did. It makes me think love triangles only bother me if one choice is completely obvious, and in this series for Laurel, it isn't completely obvious. Tam and David treat her really well, and even though I lean more towards Tam, just because fucking duh he's a fairy, I still like David too.

I was pretty excited to learn more about Avalon, but you actually don't. You just learn a lot about what it looks like, not so much the why. Like I said, I already started the third and even though I'm a few chapters in, I knew from the beginning of Spells that I wasn't going to enjoy it as much as the first, but Illusions is starting pretty fricking well for me. It makes me feel like Spells should have been 1.5 and Illusions 2, because honestly there really was nothing going on in Spells. I could probably explain the entire book in 30 words or less without leaving anything important out. Don't click unless you've read or want the whole book spoiled!(view spoiler) Okay, not 30 words but still pretty sad. There's only two major scenes that matter. Overall, I am disappointed in this book but I will continue the series and if I like Illusions I will definitely pick up Destined when it's released, but if I feel the same about Illusions I will gladly stop reading the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spells.

04/02/2012 page 278