Jasmin's Reviews > The Amulet of Samarkand

The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud

Mar 28, 12

I don't think I can honestly say anything that the other reviewers haven't already said but I loved this book and all its sequels and prequels. I wonder at it now but it didn't the Harry Potter comparison occur to me at all despite my bein a huge (almost fanatical) Harry fan.
Bartimaeus is pure genius. The novels historical back drop and subversion of history was intriguing. And this was the first time I had ever come across footnotes inside a novel. The effect was hilarious. I was also intrigued by a world were all creatures literally are formless and by the idea of a persons name/ words defining and restraining them. I liked Nathaniel even if at times I wanted to bash his clever little mind against something but I pitied him and I thought he was a well drawn example of how deep prejudices can sit. Similarly with Kitty who also despises Djinn. Opposing classes and sides, same outlook. But as I said the highlight was Bartimaeus, Bartimaeus, Bartimaeus. And that other Djinn- Farqual? Also, hilarious. Natty boy is a close second.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amulet of Samarkand.