Heather Book Savvy Babe's Reviews > The World is a Stage

The World is a Stage by Tamara Morgan

I absolutely loved book 1 in the Games of Love series, Love is A Battlefield. So, when I found out the series was continuing, I was excited to read book 2. The World is A Stage takes a whole different turn from book 1. Instead of a war between period dress-up groups, a Highland Games athlete meets his match in a shrewish Shakespearean actress. I loved reading The World is a Stage, this book had me laughing out loud and actually cheering for a nasty heroine.

The World is A Stage is essentially a modern re-telling of the Taming of the Shrew--a hilariously awesome re-telling. Michael is a Highland Games athlete who, because of injuries, is on the brink of retirement from the Games. Michael is a big, muscular, intimidating flirt. He loves women, and uses his irreverent humor to flirt with any and all women he comes across. When a friend and fellow athlete asks him to be his wing-man and keep a girlfriend's sister distracted, Michael agrees. However, he never expected just how ill-tempered this sister would be, or his attraction to her, or that he would end up wearing a cod piece instead of a kilt. Rachel is an actress in a "Shakespeare After Dark" (Shakespeare performed adult style) production troupe. She has had many disappointments in her life and as a result, became very protective of her younger sister. Rachel buried her feelings deep and closed herself off from everyone. When her sister brings home another dangerous looking man, Rachel is determined to protect her. However, Rachel makes instant judgements and her rash actions may isolate her for good.

I did not like Rachel, the woman really is a shrew. She is horribly bitchy, she makes instant negative judgements, she is determined to always be right, and she never stops to care about anyone's feelings, not even her own. However, Michael is the opposite. He is easy going, unruffled by Rachel's scathing comments, and determined to help his friends. The humor throughout the book, especially Michael's, is outrageous and so funny that I didn't want to put the book down. The World is a Stage is filled with funny one-liners, arguments, and entertaining moments that Rachel's negative character is perfectly balanced throughout the book. Michael's injuries force him to figure out a new path for his life, and his generous and caring heart stand out. Michael slowly thaws Rachel's icy exterior and makes her re-evaluate her own choices and actions.

The World is a Stage is a wildly entertaining book, however it is also a very satisfying read as well. The characters all learn and grow, and there is never a dull moment. I never wanted to put the book down, even when I was so upset by the heroine. It is a testament to Tamara Morgan's writing skills that she can write such a horrible heroine in a way that makes the reader want to forgive her sins (eventually...). Tamara Morgan's writing is clever, creative, well-developed, and thoroughly satisfying.
The World is a Stage is hilarious, full of awesome one liners, wonderful characters, and super sweet romance. Readers, if you love romances and have a sense of humor, you absolutely MUST READ the Games of Love series by Tamara Morgan.

*I received this book for review*
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World is a Stage.

06/08/2012
43.0% "So awesome... 'If the administrators hadn't liked the two of them performing a scene from the Vagina Monologues for the talent show, then they shouldn't have opened the doors by asking for "creativity inspired by your parents." '"