La Katie's Reviews > Haunted

bookshelves: 5-things-reviews
Read in April, 2012

HERE THERE BE SPOILERS

5 Things About...Haunted

1. This is not a book to be given as a book gift. Nobody should go into this book without any warning. Here's that warning: this is, by far, the most horrifying book I have read in a long time. It is terrifying, and you will be disturbed. And uncomfortable.

2. There are a lot of characters to try to keep up with, but by sticking with it, it becomes clear that their unified voices play an integral part to a theme of 'horror in community' as I'll call it. Their almost comedic titles started out off-putting but they work.

3. The book is a quilt-style narrative with short stories and interludes that weave together into the tale of a group of writers who go on the ultimate retreat. Spoiler: they go mad, and it's great.

4. The writing is superb. Palahniuk's style of in-your-face-look-at-it-this-is-beautiful-and-terrifying prose forces you to want to read more.

"In the big factory of perfecting human souls, the Earth was a kind of tumbler. The same as the kind people use to polish rocks. All souls come here to rub the sharp edges off each other. All of us, we're meant to be worn smooth by conflict and pain of every kind. To be polished. There was nothing bad about this. This wasn't suffering. It was erosion. It was just another, a basic, an important step in the refining process."

5. Books like this aren't good. They are brilliantly bad. You read them in the comfort of your home, away from peaking eyes. When someone says, "Oh, is that good? Can I read it when you're done?" you give it a lot of thought. Or just say "no" outright.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haunted.