Kristin's Reviews > Drowned

Drowned by Therese Bohman

May 18, 12

bookshelves: euro-fic, suspense, read-in-2012, reviewed, psychological
Read from May 17 to 18, 2012

I could easily have read this in one sitting if I didn't have to contend with the length of my lunch break and the necessity of attending my book club! As it is, I read it in 3 sittings. The reason I didn't want to put it down is that the writing is so... beautiful? Engaging? Powerful? Enticing? I'm not quite sure what to call it. The descriptions were phenomenal, and I felt like I really was in this isolated farmhouse, first in the stifling heat of summer and then in the dripping chill of late autumn. The difficulty in assessing a translated work is that I don't know how much of this was the author's talent and how much was the translator's skill, but I think that the sheer genius of this work indicates that both women are very good at their jobs.

Anyhow, this is about the most subtle story of suspense I have ever read. Really, you could read it as a long short story (or maybe novella) about the relationship between sisters, betrayal, and even art, as opposed to a novel of suspense. The suspense is there if you want to look for it, but it is so incredibly subtle that you almost have to make a marked effort. It's in the greenhouse orchids, on the record player, floating on the lake. It's mostly atmosphere. Clearly, it is difficult to describe. This really is the kind of book you have to experience for yourself. I was thinking about it for hours after I finished it.

On a side note, I love the picture of Therese Bohman on the flap. She looks exactly like the kind of woman to write this book, all dark and striking and intense and intelligent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drowned.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joan (new)

Joan Geez, so what are you up to now? Three books per week? Four? Five??? Still think you should be a professional book reviewer - think of the extra $$$!!

message 2: by Joan (new)

Joan Oops, I meant per day, not week!!

Kristin I've only read 5 books this WEEK. As I always say, it takes dedication to have no life outside of reading! :)