David's Reviews > Second Son

Mar 28, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: international-fiction
Read in March, 2012

I'm still tossing up whether these $2.99 'fill in the spaces' (very) short ebooks from established authors are worth the money or not. They are just so short - I completed it in less than 30 minutes whilst exercising on a treadmill - and my rip-off detector has abuzz with each step!
This one is set before any of the Reacher novels, when Jack Reacher is just 13 years old and living with his family on a US military base. Essentially the 13 y/o Reacher is much the same as the adult Reacher. He is cool and calculated, wins fights, drinks coffee, gets the girl and solves the mystery. And in the case of this novelette, all in the space of a few short pages.
The story was ok, and it was interesting to see a much younger (albeit not very different), Reacher, and I guess in my case, these short stories whet the appetite for a proper full-length Reacher novel, but in my opinion, they lack much substance and are quickly forgotten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Son.

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Agreed that "Second Son" is not worth three dollars. It was added as a bonus to go with the pocket paper edition of "The Affair" - which I picked up for a sawbuck.

You got to read it right away - I had to wait.