pdbkwm's Reviews > Betrayed

Mar 28, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: mary-sue, annoying-characters
Read in July, 2010

I love the world that P.C. and Kristin Cast created, however, I didn't like Marked, their first novel, very much. That being said, I was interesting in a few of the plot points and decided to read Betrayed to see if some of my questions were answered.

The plot, minus Zoey's love life, is interesting. Sadly, the characters are still so bland and one dimensional that I don't really care about it. Her friends are still cliche ridden and the twin stuff might be making be slightly crazy. The villain has potential to be really good though, so I'm interested in seeing how that route turns out...only I don't want to read the next book. Oh well.

I felt like Zoey became everything she hated in Betrayed. In terms of her love life, she blasted her former best friend and Aphrodite for being a hos, yet she cheats on her boyfriend. Sure she feels guilty about it, but it feels so good that she doesn't want to stop.

The situation with her teacher sounds interesting because you can easily tell Loren is evil and will do something messed up to her. But at the same time, Zoey should be able to feel his evil intentions, but doesn't because he is into her. I kind of think Zoey likes all the male attention and forgets about the real problem. Like the plot.

I will say that Heath and Aphrodite are my favourite characters in the novel. Heath is a love sick, addicted, puppy. He wants to be bitten and is developed well enough. Aphrodite grows the most in the novel and over shadows the rest of the characters. I wanted to read more about her than Zoey, which isn't good if Zoey is the main character in this novel.

Like I mentioned before, the plot is interesting. And that's pretty much it. Usually this would be okay, but the execution, the characters (minus Heath and Aphrodite) are annoying and Zoey is still a hardcore Mary Sue who craves male attention. The conversation between Zoey and the bad guy at the end of the novel didn't work for me either. Zoey increases her power, but it still feels forced and too perfect. The book is a bit better than Marked, when it comes to the plot, but it is still really bad.

I do want to see more from Aphrodite and Heath, but I don't think I could read another book in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betrayed.