Bundles of's Reviews > Calico Joe

Calico Joe by John Grisham

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: arcs, own, review-copies, sent-to-me, signed
Read from March 29 to April 01, 2012

Title: Calico Joe
Author: John Grisham
Release Date: April 11, 2012
Publisher: Doubleday
Age Group: Adult
Hardcover: 208 pages
Source: Publisher

Book Synopsis: At long last, America's favorite storyteller takes on America's favorite pastime. In this surprising and moving novel, the careers of a golden boy rookie hitter for the Cubs and a hard-hitting Mets pitcher take very different paths. The baseball is thrilling, but it's what happens off the field that makes Calico Joe a classic.

About the Author: The master of the legal thriller, John Grisham was a criminal and civil lawyer in Mississippi when his first book, A Time to Kill, was published. But it was his next book, The Firm, that became a blockbuster and established him as king of the genre.

My First Thoughts: When John's publicist emailed me about this book, I almost died. I have seen some of the movies his book turned into and what went through my head was, " OMG THEY WANT ME TO REVIEW THIS!!!! :D" So, I was ecstatic about reviewing this one.

Story Line: Paul Tracey, the son of hated Mets pitcher Warren Tracey, does not want any connections with his father. He hates him with everything he has. That is why when he gets a call from the old folks home, he does not care that his father has cancer and probably will not make it to Christmas. How did he, and every other baseball fan, come to hate Warren Tracey? The answer to that is Joe Castle. A triple A recruit, many people did not expect much from Castle. Until he had about 16 hits out of around 20 at bats. He raised the Cubs to first place in their division, and Castle was not cooling down anytime soon. Paul was fearing the game when the Cubs faced his father's team. If Warren has a bad game, usually he will go to the bar and return home to his family at 2am. That is the time Paul hides, so he is not beaten.
One thing leads to another and Warren is pitching to Joe Castle in a Cubs vs. Mets game. Sitting in the stands, Paul watches his father pitch to the unbeatable Joe Castle. Joe spots a look in his father's eyes...and he knows what is coming next. Warren Tracey beans Joe Castle in the head. Laying on the ground, Joe is not moving. In comes an ambulence and Joe is taken off on a stretcher. That is the last time he will ever play in the MLB again. Joe now has speaking problems and cannot operate correctly, but he lived to tell the tale. Now, with Warren Tracey dying...will Paul convince him to apologize to the person he almost killed?

Overall Thoughts: This might be one of my favorite books of 2012. I am a very big sports girl, so maybe that is why I enjoyed it! Awesome story....maybe movie worthy?? :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Calico Joe.

03/29/2012 page 52
25.0% "Loving it!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

would you enjoy a novel that imagines what would occur if a rookie pitcher threw a fatal bean ball at the direction of his manager? If so, see A Pitch For Justice an e-book that follows the criminal investigation and prosecution of the case.There is a wonderful review by Tampa Tribune sports writer Robert D'Angelo at my Goodreads blog site