Carolyn's Reviews > Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: magical-realism, more-than-500, fantasy, gothic
Read from March 28 to April 25, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This was an interesting book to read. It had the feel and writing style of a classic book but it was written in the 2000's. For the most part it was really good but, as some classics do, the story dragged at parts and there was stuff in there I thought was somewhat unnecessary. I was happy that Norrell and Strange ended up together again by the end and that Mrs. Strange wasn't actually dead. She was a more minor character but she was one of my favorites in the book. Strange was the more interesting of the magicians and wasn't stuck in a rut like Norrell was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

03/28/2012 page 20
03/31/2012 page 80
8.0% "Good book... but I really wish they would get back to magic instead of talking about decorating Mr. Norrell's new house. -_-"
04/06/2012 page 313
31.0% "This book is so charming and I'm glad we finally get to the part where Mr. Norrell is teaching Strange (interesting last name) about magic. Norrell's book obsession was kind of hilarious too."
04/25/2012 page 700
70.0% "I finished it! Took some major marathon-reading but I did it. I don't think I have read that much in a row since the last Harry Potter"
show 32 hidden updates…